Breeding Bush Fly Maggots

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
BOF33

2 days at 28 degrees
I've got two 40 watt incandescent globes in mine, with a towel covering the front and my temperate gauge is just pushing 15 degs. Without stating the obvious, should I be using 60 or 70 watt globes?

Most others say they use 25 watt globes?
SamDavis

I've also got 2 40 watt globes in mine at present with dimmer turned up full. I haven't bothered to check the temperature for ages but there's heaps of flies and it's producing heaps of maggots (and we are still getting the odd night time frost). In my box the temp varies considerably at different heights and the flies congregate where they feel comfortable - sometimes up high near the globes and in warmer weather down lower.
Incandescent globes obviously burn way hotter than 30C so there must be a location that is approximately 30C somewhere in the box - I reckon the flies will find it. Maybe try measuring the temp at different positions.
gomer

Do you guys find the globes get hot and blow all the time from the build up of fly feces on them ? Or how do you prevent them from overheating all the time? I have my globe (for light only) on the out side of the box to prevent this.Thats also why I now use a reptile heating cord as a heat source.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
SamDavis

I find they last much longer when I have the dimmer turned down - so I use 40 watt globes all year round and turn the dimmer down. Unfortunately due to the cold it's turned up to full at the moment so they do blow fairly regularly (maybe one a month) and I agree the fly poop is a major factor.
BOF33

I haven't bothered to check the temperature for ages but there's heaps of flies and it's producing heaps of maggots (and we are still getting the odd night time frost). In my box the temp varies considerably at different heights and the flies congregate where they feel comfortable - sometimes up high near the globes and in warmer weather down lower.
Incandescent globes obviously burn way hotter than 30C so there must be a location that is approximately 30C somewhere in the box - I reckon the flies will find it. Maybe try measuring the temp at different positions.
That makes sense, I measured temps at various heights and got to 28 degrees higher up. Hopefully I'll have it stocked and up and running this weekend :thumbup:
BOF33

When hatching fly pupae, do you sit the pupae in a normal wet bran mix until they hatch?
Trilobite

When hatching fly pupae, do you sit the pupae in a normal wet bran mix until they hatch?
definately not, after the fly strike the mix i remove after 2 days and place in a larger conatier and top up with approx 1/2 the vol of mix again and then let them grow and pupate after approx 5-7days . Then i place into a large flat tray and let the mix dry out. I sieve the pupa and place back into the fly box in a butter conatier and let them hatch. the pupa will need to be relatively dry else they will drown.
Cheers
Trilobite
BOF33

definately not, after the fly strike the mix i remove after 2 days and place in a larger conatier and top up with approx 1/2 the vol of mix again and then let them grow and pupate after approx 5-7days . Then i place into a large flat tray and let the mix dry out. I sieve the pupa and place back into the fly box in a butter conatier and let them hatch. the pupa will need to be relatively dry else they will drown
Okay, and thanks for setting me on the right track. Im glad I asked. Some of the information in this thread has been a little conflicting. Or maybe I've just confused it a little.
d ferguson

g day,
the new type bulbs work just fine////use 2 bulbs(in case one blows)60w equivlent.
see ya
spider
Trilobite

yep that is the beuty of the forum, you get all varitations from people who have been assocaited with the hobby, field for years. Like everything you take it all on board, work out what works for you and then refine it to your way of life/birds/aviary setup and run with it. You will soon work out what does and doesnt work (dependent on where you are, how much time you have etc etc) and get a system up and running. The president of the Qld Finch club has produced a very good article called "flies without tears" see if you can get hold of it (it is actually on the home page of the society, BRHS, as a download). hope this helps. Any questions just put up hear and someone will respond.
Cheers
Trilobite

Return to “Diet & Food”