Citrus/olive yellow finch in lower blue mountains

For all your questions about Australian finches
Fireguard

Hi all, I am new to the forum.
I live in Yarramundi in the foothills of the blue mountains, and I have a finch like bird in my back garden that is a bright yellow/olive colour all over. Likes the upper foliage and doesn’t come to the bird feeder around the front of the house like the other species. The closest I can find is a most yellow thornbill. I am not sure if this is what it is. Any ideas?
CathyCraftz

It might be an olive finch but unfortunately it is only found in Brazil.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Tiaris

Yellow thornbill, weebill & silvereye are a few possibilities. Is it tiny?
Fireguard

Tiaris wrote: 05 May 2018, 12:52 Yellow thornbill, weebill & silvereye are a few possibilities. Is it tiny?

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes it is the size if not slightly smaller than a double bar finch, chunky body shape
starman

Firstly, WELCOME to the AFF, Fireguard.

A link to the most likely.... http://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/silvereye.
...and candidate number 2.... http://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile ... -thornbill
.....and number 3.....http://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/weebill

It could be an aviary escapee of course, but that would be a long shot.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
matcho

Starman,

I reckon you are on the money with No1 given the location and it's behavior/description. Then again we are not there and it could be something from left field. Ahhh I love this site!

Ken
starman

Ken,
That was a toss of the coin... at first I was thinking Yellow Thornbill because of the colour description. I had no clue about the Weebill as I can't
recall having seen one.... I had to look it up after reading Tiaris' post. Silver Eyes are fairly common around these parts, but I have only seen the Thornbill on a family member's heavily wooded property. I had to go to the books to identify that one too. Although he is only about 30k ATCF from me,
I see a quite few different species there.... most of the time he can identify them for me, though occasionally not.
Last edited by starman on 05 May 2018, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Sm.
matcho

starman wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:41 Ken,
That was a toss of the coin... at first I was thinking Yellow Thornbill because of the colour description. I had no clue about the Weebill as I can't
recall having seen one.... I had to look it up after reading Tiaris' post. Silver Eyes are fairly common around these parts, but I have only seen the Thornbill on a family member's heavily wooded property. I had to go to the books to identify that one too. Although he is only about 30k ATCF from
me, I see a quite few different species there.... most of the time he can identify them for me, though occasionally not.
Starman,
I still reckon you are on the money as I have seen them up close and personal, it was the first one that came to mind.

Thanks for the links by the way, wish I knew how to do them :crazy:
starman

matcho wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:47
starman wrote: 05 May 2018, 20:41 Thanks for the links by the way, wish I knew how to do them :crazy:
Well in that case Ken, here's another link: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21293&p=185080#p185080
It becomes just a few reflexive mouse clicks once you have done it a few times.
Sm.
starman

Apologies, I've messed up the order of those quotes and confused the issue.... but give it a go Ken, in no time it WILL become reflexive.

Now back on topic...
Sm.

Return to “Australian Finches”