All sorts of issues

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Farhanmazhari

Hi All, I have just started my journey with gouldians previously I used to have budgies and zebras. But seems I am unable to control gouldians, a pair in aviary of 4 pairs laid 3 eggs then put more grass on top of it and abandon the eggs, they got grass from another nest box, then I have a female with possible ASM and impacted badly, and today I found black head male has some white marks on head. I am feeding them finch mix and egg food alternate day. Not sure what I am doing wrong or its normal events to start with gouldians.

After for help, also is there any medication which I can use as preventive step?

Regards,
Brisbane_Finches_333

I'm not as much as an expert as others on this forum, but how big is the aviary? Maybe overcrowding might be a problem? Also I recommend you feed them a bit more variety than just your current diet, perhaps diced kale or lebanese cucumber (the two favourite veg of mine) or some seeding grass heads found from weed grasses that haven't been sprayed by council. This is their all-time favourite food. I'd also recommend feeding cuttlefish bone as they relish it during the breeding season.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have 4 pairs of finches you need 5 nest boxs as every lady needs a choice. (You may already have this?) If they are pinching grass from other nests, add more short lengths of grass to the avairy. I mostly use couch grass, and I add a handful each day till they stop using it. See your local bird vet for some Ivamectin, this is used in the water for ASM and also as a wormer. Vet will advise correct dose. 2 jobs done in one. I find as BF has said above, that the most important food for them is green seeding grasses. You can pick weeds in a safe part of your garden or grow your own. Get a small amount of the seed you are feeding them and plant in a pot. Water and wait for it to grow, when it does cut the seed heads and feed to the birds. Plant a pot of seed every 3 or 4 days for a week or 2 to give you a constant supply. They are frustrating but worth it once you get the formula right.
LML
LML
rodsbirds2

Farhanmazhari wrote: 30 May 2020, 20:31 Hi All, I have just started my journey with gouldians previously I used to have budgies and zebras. But seems I am unable to control gouldians, a pair in aviary of 4 pairs laid 3 eggs then put more grass on top of it and abandon the eggs, they got grass from another nest box, then I have a female with possible ASM and impacted badly, and today I found black head male has some white marks on head. I am feeding them finch mix and egg food alternate day. Not sure what I am doing wrong or its normal events to start with gouldians.

After for help, also is there any medication which I can use as preventive step?

Regards,
:clap: love my gouldians but they can be a heart breaker at times,so cold in melb overnite it,s hard to keep any babies alive at this time of the year

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”