Variations in climate

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Poohbear UK

I know Australia is a vast land mass with many different types of climate.Most of the population seem to live around the coastline....Where you come from is there a great deal of difference in the climate between spring and summer?
Suerus

I do live in a coastal area and the climate is temperate. We get hot humid summers but not the extremes of heat that some of the more inland areas have. In spring the weather can be quite changeable which doesnt suit the birds very well! We have already had a 35 degree day more than 6 weeks from summer but it quickly dropped back down ( 18 the next day! ) In summer the heat is just more consistent although our weather always tends to be a bit unpredictable. Temperature wise I am probably just a little further south ( therefore cooler ) than some of the finches would ideally like but the winters are fairly mild and they seem to adapt. The humidity seems to knock the gouldians around the most.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

summers for me are hot and dry. average temp would be about 35c. a lot of days are over 40, hottest last year was 47.
spring temps seem to vary between 18 and 30 with the occasional day over 35. winds are usually a hot northerly in summer or a southerly for the rest of the year.
the birds seem to thrive in the heat, have not lost a single bird to it (yet). last summer we had a period of 14 days with temperatures over 40 and it seemed to set the birds into breeding condition again, had nests and young everywhere.
in the really hot weather the only thing I do differently is to keep the aviary floor damp (during daylight) to give the birds somewhere a little cooler to sit and it helps bu increasing the humidity level in the aviary
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Matt

Our temperature ranges from winter min of -2 to summer max of mid 40's.
Steven

Our temperature ranges are around 30 -35 or sometimes even higher
meandem

Hi Poohbear
I live in northern NSW [ inland ] our temps here range from -5's in winter to high 30's in summer. I actually have an enclosed section for my finches for winter which is heated, and by doing this i can increase the inside temp by 5 degrees. In the heat of summer i use a sprinkler system set up on top of all of my aviaries . Mick

'Diamonds are forever '
gomer

Living near the sea here you dont get many frosts.The average temps here are cooler then elsewhere in Australia.Spring low 4c to about 20c.Summer low 8c to 30c.a couple of 40c for the summer.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Steven

Lucky your not in QLD today was so hot it was about 35c going on to 40c i had to fill up the birds water every couple of hours as they kept bathing to stay cool
Poohbear UK

This morning in the UK at 5am...minus 6c of frost...gonna be a lot of neighbours scraping their windscreens this morning.
yuuttr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt

brrrrrr!!!

We are in the middle of a bit of a heat wave here with temps consistently in the mid 30's for the last week. Luckily the water at the beach is just the right temp to cool off. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”