coccivet and rain

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbdown: So Im into day 3 of the 7 day coccivet prevenative treatment and of course its raining .

What do I do now ? Will the treatment work if they are drinking rainwater and the coccivet ?

I didnt treat the birds in the suspended aviaries , Ive only treated the walk in aviaries ....Should I treat the suspendeds ?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first dealing with Coccidia .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
mickw

I only do one day or 2 max........now I'm wondering whether I'm doing the right thing :shifty: ......but I recall reading and enquiring and if you withhold water from the arvo, overnight, then re-introduce medicated water around, say 9ish the following morning, the birds will come down and take a big drink. That should be all they need.......Vets or any other learned soles please chime in here??

Its usually pointless medicating when they have access to other water, especially rainwater. Remember, youre administering a preventative treatment for the whole flock, as opposed to targeting a sick bird, so its important that they all get a dose.

Shouldnt get Coccidia in the suspendeds but if they came from a conventional set-up they may need an initial dose to clear 'em out.

OK, go your hardest everyone.....I'm probably going to cop it from the organic, free-range, hippy aviculturalists for encouraging the use of poisons :lol:
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is all good Mickw , I was very anti medication until I saw what Cocci does to birds . Ill be treating them from here on in .

The bottle says blah blah in water for 5 to 7 days . Maybe thats if they have it where as I am only doing the preventative and those thst had it got Baycox .

See what input we get hey . :thumbup:
David Brent
SamDavis

I've always given baycox/coccivet for two days in the water - usually after rain or when I spot a bird with a wet vent. Might be different though Deb when you've actually had a definite diagnosis. Hopefully one of the vets will chime in here.
Myzomela

Hi Deb,

Rain is always an issue when medicating birds in their drinking water. :thumbdown:

You've got 2 options, depending on the weather conditions.
The first is to extend the treatment period to say 10 days, then repeat in 2 weeks.
If the wet weather has set in and will last more than a few days, you may be best to quit treatment at the end of your 7 days & try again later when it's drier. There is no harm in treating when it's wet. At worst it is ineffective. At best, the birds may still drink enough to suppress the coccidia, but you are likely to have to repeat the treatment.

If you were just treating on a routine preventative basis ( rather than treating an existing problem), then I would stop now and wait for the weather to dry up- then start again.

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to totally eradicate coccidia from any bird. What you are aiming to do is to drastically reduce the numbers to non-pathogenic levels by medicating and by boosting the birds' immune system through good diet, housing & low stress.

Keeping floors dry helps to decrease survival of the infective cysts in the environment.

Low numbers of coccidia can allow the bird to develop some immunity to the organism so that it can deal with the problem itself- almost like self-vaccinating if you like.

As for the birds in the suspendeds, they are less likely to reinfect themselves since they don't have access to their own droppings and are not exposed to damp floors.
If any sick birds have been found in the suspended aviaries then yes, by all means, treat them. Or if they have recently come from conventional aviaries which housed other infected birds, then I would also treat them. Otherwise it is less likely to be a problem. If you want to make sure collect a group faecal sample from all the birds housed in suspendeds, have them tested by the vet which should give you your answer.

Hope all the waffling helps & doesn't just confuse!

Cheers
Myzo.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks again Myzo . Good answer . :thumbup:
Sunny today so will keep medicating and add a couple of days .
David Brent
Tiaris

Coccivet should be used for 5-7 days & Baycox for only 2-3 days.
Fincho162

Actually if one consults one of Russell K's earlier works you'll find that the dosing regime for Amprolium based products is a lot more complicated than the current presentation of it and involves repeat doses at different intervals for the one treatment.................we use Baycox........if anyone has ever heard of a product called Hapavet then they also may join the Bayer Baycox Brigade - dare I say it for safety's sake!!

Reserach, research, resaerch...............!!!!
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Getting Baycox here is near impossible , I had to go to 3 vets and then they only had enough to give me 3 mls .

Yes I knew there was a repeat dose and then more if the weather was wet or humid and that the aim of the treatment is to let the birds build up enough resistance to be able to handle the organism themselves .

Research ... Ive asked my vet , rung another vet and spend countless hours on the internet trying to learn all I can .

Feel free to share what you know , its what the forum is for after all .
David Brent
Fincho162

Off-hand I'm not sure but it was one of Russell's earlier volumes on finches but there were different dose concentrations over different period for Amprolium.........probably why it is not the treatment of choice these days as there is far more scope for the "she'll be right" approach that possibly renders it less effective............you can see it even here the "worm for one day, first drink is enough" - despite the vet directions on the label even!!

Possibly someone out there has access to that book and can present you with his thoughts......."in those days" Amprolium was widely used in the poultry industry and getting it was not a problem...................all the good finchos I know of in "Coccidia Country" use Baycox and none the other.

I know its dear but we band together and order a bottle between a few of us.........and the Finch Society of Australia has it on their trade table from memory...............

Sorry I canna tell u more..............have the book at home but not sure where the Coccivet fits in that scheme of things............

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”