coccivet and rain

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK thanks . Mr Kingstons book looks like a good place to start looking .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have also heard it recomended that if you have earth floors you should replace 10cms of soil to be sure there is no bacteria or is it virus still there.
LML
LML
Myzomela

OK, here's the explanation for the dosing with amprolium- based products and my take on it.

The older Amprolmix Plus (amprolium 250 g/kg and ethapabate 16 g/kg) was used at 3ml per Litre of drinking water for week 1, then 2ml per L for week 2, then 1 ml per L for week 3, then 1 ml per L for one week each month if needed. The idea is that the gradual reduction in the level of treatment assists the birds to develop some immunity whilst still maintaining some level of protection. This is based on the protocol for treatment of commercial broiler chicken flocks and was used reasonably successfully in cage birds in the past.
Amprolium 200 is the equivalent product available today.
Coccivet (amprolium 80 g/L and ethopabate 5.1 g/L) is recommended to be used at 1.5 ml per Litre drinking water for 5-7 days, then repeat as necessary.

All amprolium-based products are coccidiostats- that is they stop the coccidia from reproducing. They do not kill the coccidia.

Baycox (active drug- toltrazuril) is a coccidiocide- that is it actually kills the coccidial organism. As such it is more effective when dealing with outbreaks of coccidiosis and should hopefully stop deaths more quickly. It is the best drug currently available when treating coccidiosis.

The only point that I make (and this is where I may disagree with Fincho-sorry mate :) ) is that if we continue to use our most effective drug- baycox- on a continuous preventative basis, then we risk creating resistance to it so that it will lose its effectiveness for when we need it most- during outbreaks. Birds treated with baycox are still susceptible to infection shortly after treatment if the organism remains in the soil. So why not use amprolium- based products for routine prevention, which may also help the birds develop some resistance to the coccidia, and save the baycox for outbreak situations or else high-risk periods such as quarantine or periods of heavy rain?

This discussion highlights another point. No matter which drug is used, if you don't change your management practices you are going to have ongoing problems with this and other parasites. Management changes centre around DRY floors that drain well after getting wet (watch spillage around taps, water bowls etc), decreasing stress by not overcrowding, adequate perching/nesting/feeding areas & species mix, and quarantining all new birds before introducing into an existing aviary. Sometimes removing the top layer of soil to physically remove the coccidial oocysts may be useful, particularly during outbreaks, as finchbreeder has mentioned.

Hope that answers some of the queries raised.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
spanna

Well said Myzo. The input from all the vets and experienced breeders on this site is why we all keep coming back. Using Baycox as an emergency and the amprolium for routine prevention to me seems a very sound theory. Hope everyone who has input (Myzo, Fincho, plus everyone in all the other topics) knows just how appreciated their time and effort is.

Hope all goes well for you Deb.
Tiaris

What about Keystat? I had it recommended to me by a bird stuff seller as another alternative to prevent resistance.
Myzomela

Hi Tiaris,

Keystat is similar to Coccivet and Amprolium 200 (slightly different concentrations) - it is an amprolium and ethopabate combination and would also work fine.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Dutchlindsay

Myzomela wrote: 23 Dec 2011, 12:24 OK, here's the explanation for the dosing with amprolium- based products and my take on it.

The older Amprolmix Plus (amprolium 250 g/kg and ethapabate 16 g/kg) was used at 3ml per Litre of drinking water for week 1, then 2ml per L for week 2, then 1 ml per L for week 3, then 1 ml per L for one week each month if needed. The idea is that the gradual reduction in the level of treatment assists the birds to develop some immunity whilst still maintaining some level of protection. This is based on the protocol for treatment of commercial broiler chicken flocks and was used reasonably successfully in cage birds in the past.
Amprolium 200 is the equivalent product available today.
Coccivet (amprolium 80 g/L and ethopabate 5.1 g/L) is recommended to be used at 1.5 ml per Litre drinking water for 5-7 days, then repeat as necessary.
I just got some Amprolium 200. On new arrival in quarantine I use baycox but I got this for periodic preventative treatment. Is this the dose and duration I want to use it? Or should it be a 2/3 day treatment just at with baycox?
Life rewards action
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

First part of Myzo's post is what I would do if using Amprolium Bert...but if birds look off/sick I would use Baycox at recommended dosages.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Dutchlindsay

Thanks vettepilot_6.. I am using it at the moment as a preventative measure. I Use baycox on all new arrivals but this is as part of my 4 monthly parasite treatment programme; thanks for your advice, will use recommended dose :thumbup:
Life rewards action
Dutchlindsay

Additional Question on Amprolium; I got the mentioned Amprolium 200 but it s a powder and not a liquid so I am not sure now how to mix it. :problem: Label says it s for ducks, turkeys and pigeons. As per prevention it says to use 5 gram to 4 litres for 24 hrs every 4 th day. Under treatment it states same mix but 5 to 7 days and after a week reduce etc.
Should I use the mentioned mix or should I use less for finches? Cheers
Life rewards action

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”