Links to Finch Articles

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
GregH

I'm going to get a list together of links to published finch and avicultural literature to be posted in a resources section in the General Forum at a later date. Please feel free to add to this if you come across something. Try to use the format shown below. Thanks

Greg

Bennett, D. C., Yee, A., Rhee, Y., Cheng, K. M. (2011) Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality of free-range organic laying hens. POULTRY SCIENCE 90(7): 1416-1426.
Franklin, Burbage & Dostine (1999). The harvest of wild birds in aviculture: an historical perspective on finch trapping in the Kimberley with special emphasis on the Gouldian Finch. Australian Zoologist 31:92-109
Rollins, L.A.; Svedin, N.; Pryke, S.R.and Griffith, S.C. (2012) The role of the Ord Arid Intrusion in the historical and contemporary genetic division of long-tailed finch subspecies in northern Australia. Ecology and Evolution 2(6) 1208-1219.

To achieve this format use the code as shown in the box:

Code: Select all

Author 1, Author2 ....Author n (year of publication). Title of article. [url=insert web address] Journal Name [b]Volume Number[/b]:first page-last page[/url]
Myzomela

That's a great idea Greg, well done!
I'm sure that it will be widely utilised.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
SamDavis

Yes, great idea. Greg, unfortunately the URL in your post doesn't seem to work.

I'll try to link to the paper....
Is this link any better

Thanks Sam - I managed to only exercise half the link the first time. All Fixed now. Greg
GregH

Ledford, H (2012) Telomere length in birds predicts longevity Nature News January 9, 1212
GregH

Male finches accept exotic mates Science Alert WEDNESDAY, 07 JANUARY 2009. To those that keep zebras this is not news at all!
GregH

Cuckoo chicks in zebra finches Science News, Monday, April 26, 2010
KENTUCKY

The 52 mating expectations of the Inheritance of Headcolour in the Gouldian Finch have been altered from words into colour,this very visual and colourful Poster measuring 455 mm x 855 mm, its simple layout is easy to read and understand, explaining Genetics and their Mode of Inheritance.
Printed on the bottom of this Chart is a key packed with information, the labelling and who's System was used to geneticially separate the various types of Gouldians, the
different shades in Headcolours and its cause,there are also different shades of Black as well, which need to be modified first so our Human Eye can pick it up, why did Murray relocate the gene for yellow Headedness from Red/Black/Yellow to Red/Yellow/Black plus there is much more to read and absorb.
Most of the text is in its origional form and unaltered, some of it is a little whoosie and could have been explained differently but, thats what the researchers came up with at the time, some of it has been over ruled since it was written about 50 years ago but, the Mating Expectations are true and cannot be faulted.
Framed and hung it would make a valuable edition in any Birdroom it would also make an interesting talking point among Aviculturists and Students alike. A little slice of History for those with an inquiring Mind.
I am offering these Breeding Chart in Poster form for 20.00 Dollars each plus P+H.
ColouredFeathers

On behalf of Kentucky, I have attached a picture of his chart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image
ColouredFeathers

I would like to make a few coments on Ralph's [ Kentucky ] Gouldian finch chart .
We made the chart in my garage about 15 years ago. Ralph did all the ground work with the genetics and put all the information together. I supplied some off the birds and he had them professionally photographed.
I will say that the chart was VERY helpful to me. It mainly helped me learn about genetics in normal gouldians.
For the young and old breeders out there it is an ideal thing to have in your bird room.
cheers flavio :thumbup: :thumbup:
Image Image Image
gouldianpaul

Well don Flavio/Ralph.

It would be great to do the same for the YB, WB, Blue, Aussie Dilute and Aussie Yellow, etc, etc combinations. If it was produced I'm sure many on this forum would buy one...it would also help with terminology and the confusion when different breeders refer to the same bird with different terminolog; ie Yellow Back's/European Dilute

Do you still have the contacts that produced the original poster?

Cheers
Paul

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”