Ant control

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
kimberley breeder

Doing the box checks on my gouldians and 3 of the nests with newly hatched chicks were covered in ants!!! So angry!!!! I did the whole Coopex spray on the outsid eof the aviary before putting the boxes in! I feel horrible for the poor bubs :(

Is there any spray safe to use on the boxes themselves? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Coopex everywhere . In boxes every where , let it dry before putting birds back in.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
kimberley breeder

I cant tell you how anygry I am that this happened! I worked out there were about 12 babies.....there one box with eggs about 8!! So will be doing that asap!
I will do the full strength dosage this time. Its ok to do the insides and outsides of the boxes as long as it dries??? Thanks :)
Craig52

As jusdeb said, coopex every where,it very safe even if it gets on the birds.Bit of a waste of time out side the aviary if it gets the weather on it .Hope this helps
Cheers Craig :thumbup: :wave:
desertbirds

If they arent just the normal little black ants youre in trouble KB. Make sure they arent big headed ants.
kimberley breeder

These were horrible redish brown lookin things. Bit bigger than the singapore ant. Will do the coopex through the inside and cross fingers it works. Thanks all!
natamambo

Big headed ants come in two sizes, but the one with the big head is usually only 1 in a 100 in the colony. The smaller worker ants are about the same size but lack the big heads. Look for an "odd one out" in the trail, if there is one then you have big headed, otherwise known as coastal brown ants.

They can be controlled with Coopex but they have very large colonies os it atkes time.

Did a google search, this is a useful resource http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... pA&cad=rja
kimberley breeder

Thanks!! Very useful- I do believe that is what type of ants they are...horrible things. Still quite upset about my babies :( Im getting off work a bit earlier today so I will be spraying down the aviaries and boxes. I may do the cylinders as well with brush in it. I keep the ants out of the food dishes by using vasaline around the revolving feeders....but keeping them away from the babies....I didnt think ants would come after something still alive...if the chicks had died..yes I could understand it...my frustration coming out I guess!

Ill keep you all posted on operation kill ants!!!!
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to dust all nest boxes and all crevices and corners of aviary with DIATOMACEOUS EARTH and it is not a chemical ...it supposedly cuts the insect up...as i acts like diamond cutter....worked for me :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
natamambo

It might be worth you sending some (put stiky tape on them to collect them) to DPI or whoever they're called in your state if they're interested as brown coastal ants aren't meant to be that far north in WA.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”