Ant control

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
desertbirds

Yep, get them checked out to see what they are. Ive found over the years that black ants generally only invade a nets if a young one dies, these things invade at any stage and ive lost nests containg young that are due to fledge. :thumbdown:
kimberley breeder

Its such a pain!!! I counted 12 babies that were killed Im now trying to handraise the 2 that survived. 1 box still has 8 eggs in it and the hen is sitting. All boxes and interior got a good dose of coopex this arvo. Ill take a sample of the ants and take it to the Ag Dept here in town. They should know as they have an entomologist here.
collector_and_buyer

I had a problem with both red meat ants and black ants,so tried this product Hymenopthor Ultra.You sprinkle it around the outside perimeter of your aviary and if you know where the nest is,about a metre away from the nest.This product killed all the ants,nest and all and i have not had any ants in over 12 months.A little expensive,but will last you a long time and well worth it.
nicko

There's a product called Amdro, it kills a lot of the harder to control ants & it's protein based (food) so it's taken back to feed the queen, & if you kill the queen you kill the nest, Bunnings sell it but it's expensive, but do your research & you can get it cheaper.
A lot of ant killers are "on contact" - ie, as ants go back to the nest they contact each other & spread the poison that way.
Wouldn't use these inside the aviary though as they're granulated.
Diatomaceous earth works well but make sure it's food grade, kills most garden pests safely, even in seed to kill moths etc but still safe for the birds.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”