Software for managing birds

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Gordy

I wouldn't trust keeping any records I really wanted on someone else's machine.
Software or hardware failure can & does happen. The owner may have very good intentions
but what if something happens to them? Too iffy for me.
I know some people use an aussie originated program called Birdrec.
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/kyorke/p20.htm is the info on it.
I personally use an A4 book ruled vertically in 7 columns.
1. Ring No. 2. Variety / colour 3. Plastic ring colour 4. Breeder name 5. cock name/id 6. hen name /id 7. Comments

I have had one hardcover book for the last 12 yrs & it will last me a lot longer yet.
It stays in the birdroom & I update immediately after ringing birds.
casehulsebosch

Alright, I have been holding back on this one but I will throw in a link for you English speaking people.

http://www.zooeasy.com/

Cheers, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
BrettB

Thank you for responses.
I wouldn't trust keeping any records I really wanted on someone else's machine.
I guess this is really my position, have had a couple of experiences with lost data at my work and believe me the few dollars required to protect it are well worth it.

So we have Birdrec and Zooeasy (about half the price)
Has anyone used either of these programs ??

Currently my bird numbers are low, so will just go with the manual method in the interum.
Out of interest, what information do most breeders record ?

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BrettB wrote:Thank you for responses.
Currently my bird numbers are low, so will just go with the manual method in the interum.
Out of interest, what information do most breeders record ?

Cheers
Brett
Male /Female.....Month/Year..... Ring Colours..... date start sitting....clutch fledged...numbers young....ring colours young...plus anything else you want :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Diane

The finchbreeder database isnt on someone else's computer, its web based using forum software, the same template as this forum, phpbb.
There are databases in cd form listed on ebay for bird keeping and any toher collection you could name, Ive been looking at them for record keeping for my Clivia plants. (breeding Clivia plants is as involved as breeding Gouldians :roll: :crazy: ) I was speaking to someone the other week about this type of data base and said some one they knew someone who had used this type and even though it was a stand alone product they lost some information, so I guess nothing is really safe.
Catch phrase is "Backup copies"
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
meepmeeps

this could easily be done using php, HTML or even LUA and create a web based app that anyone could use for FREE. all that is needed is a good plan for a GUI (General User Interface) and a simple DB (Data Base) also a nice little option to print your DB as a nicely layed our chart. im supprised this hasnt already been done. if i had the time i'd do it.
Netsurfer

meepmeeps wrote:this could easily be done using php, HTML or even LUA and create a web based app that anyone could use for FREE. all that is needed is a good plan for a GUI (General User Interface) and a simple DB (Data Base) also a nice little option to print your DB as a nicely layed our chart. im supprised this hasnt already been done. if i had the time i'd do it.
As I mentioned before why not get someone to create a software using Microsoft Office Access or Excel, you can copy it onto a CD and give it to anyone on the forum if you like. I'd do it if I had the time but it's been quite some time since I touched the Access or the Excel, I'm sure there are people on this forum who can do a simple program like that with eyes closed.
meepmeeps

im guessing your referring to a chart of some kind that can be used to record a breeding tree as to avoind interbreeding and know what bird came from who. im kinda a novice to bird keeping and dont really know what people would record. ive seen many different charts over the internet for this but to be honist none are very good and not very strait forward especially for a novice like myself, as for programming ive been programming in c+, c++, LUA, HTML, VB, javascript, php and quite a few others for many years and some as long as 30+ years but like yourself time is not something i have unfortunatly.
'when' i do get some free time i might look into designing a little something and see how it goes but i guess the first step would be to choose what is going to be recorded and how to record it as in layouts. its a bit like trying to build a house without plans lol
Netsurfer

meepmeeps wrote:im guessing your referring to a chart of some kind that can be used to record a breeding tree as to avoind interbreeding and know what bird came from who. im kinda a novice to bird keeping and dont really know what people would record. ive seen many different charts over the internet for this but to be honist none are very good and not very strait forward especially for a novice like myself, as for programming ive been programming in c+, c++, LUA, HTML, VB, javascript, php and quite a few others for many years and some as long as 30+ years but like yourself time is not something i have unfortunatly.
'when' i do get some free time i might look into designing a little something and see how it goes but i guess the first step would be to choose what is going to be recorded and how to record it as in layouts. its a bit like trying to build a house without plans lol
Great!!! Check out the two software mentioned in the previous posts. For me personally all I have to do is keep the record of:
Species (common and scientific name)
Male/female
of whom I bought the bird/s
to whom I sold the bird/s
the persons name
the persons address
the persons phone numbers
the date I bought or sold the bird
How many I bred
the date the birds hatched
How many died
the date the bird died
Export permit number
Import permit number
comment

And that's about all I can think off, however a software that allows you to attach a photo or two of each individual would be nice. Other breeders on the forum probably need more, like the genetics, mother, father, grandparents, color, same as in the other two softwares mentioned, probably not as much. Someone who is into genetics could help you with this more than I can.
johnmw1

Hi,
Yes I would also be interested in the outcome of this question. I was asking around at a bird show the other day and most of the old timers tend to still use pen and paper, but I did come across one person that was using or had used zooeasy. Birdrec is the other one that keeps popping up but at $119 I currently can't afford it, but given the choice would be the one that I would most want to use.

Cheers,
John

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”