Software for managing birds

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Diane

Leg band numbers/colours
Be able to capture mutation information (whether by genetic calc or just a space to be able to write it down)
The ability to make notes
Possibly pics (might not work over all the database but it would certainly be appreciated with mutations)
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've started working on something a few hours ago. Basically all that's finished is the database structure. New birds can be added, with the ability to allocate other birds of their species as parents (the parents' "EggsHatched" value automatically increases, which I thought was pretty cool). You select a bird and track the genealogy; determining which birds it is related to.

I've also started working on a user interface. I thought the most logical way to organize the birds initially was by aviary - your thoughts on this are welcome. It's still very early, so the forms for adding new birds/aviaries are not yet implemented.

Diane

Just getting my head around your comment.... :D
So a bird would need to be entered in an aviary before being assigned a legband number?
Would that mean each aviary has a numbering starting from 1?
If this is the case and someone purchases a bird that already has a numbered legband and the new owner wishes to keep that as is, would that be possible?
Diane
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Will the program accept colours for the legbands or only numbers? As many people only use colours? Could there be a column for bred or bought from? Sorry if this is making it more complicated, but is also making it more usable. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just getting my head around your comment
Sorry about that. I spend a lot of time around software engineers, so I find it hard not to use technical language sometimes.
So a bird would need to be entered in an aviary before being assigned a legband number?
No. You can create a new bird and add all it's information even if you haven't created any aviaries. The bird will just sit in the 'All' column until you assign it elsewhere.
Would that mean each aviary has a numbering starting from 1?
You can name aviaries anything you like. [Caution: technical] However, all aviaries are sequentially assigned a numeric ID upon creation, which is used as a unique identifier within the database. This is all invisible to the user.
someone purchases a bird that already has a numbered legband and the new owner wishes to keep that as is, would that be possible?
Yes. The program doesn't enforce any format for leg band numbers or colors.
Will the program accept colours for the legbands or only numbers?
I've added a field for both in the database. I was unaware that some people only use colours. What if I combined the output for the "color" and "number" fields in the band column, so people who use both will see "Red - #7327" and those who only use one would see "Red" or "#7327." Does that make sense?
Could there be a column for bred or bought from?
I was planning on putting "Externally Sourced" in the hen and sire columns for birds that were purchased from unknown parents.
Sorry if this is making it more complicated, but is also making it more usable.
Don't apologize! Good feedback from the perspective of experienced breeders is exactly what I'm looking for.
Painted4

This looks great, i've been using Excel (plus a hand written hard copy) This looks like a much better/easier idea :lol:
Diane

Understood :thumbup:
Ability to print off genealogy as document or PDF

With Uraeginthus saying he would prefer to access without the need to be online, will your database be able to accessed offline?

I agree with you Painted 4 I currently use http://www.finchbreederdatabase.com and very happy with that. It would be nice to not have to be online though.

I could have done with someone willing to create a database with similar interface and graphics like this when I was creating the database for my Clivia plants :oops: yep Im this organised with my plants too :lol:
Like you I used the office tools, but I used a very simple system, Open Office documents and just linked pics. All on a USB. Would love to be able to use something like this esp if it available offline.
Diane
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

will your database be able to accessed offline?
Yes. It will be entirely offline and stored in a single file. I'm using Microsoft's JET database format, so the file will be compatible with Microsoft Access.
Ability to print off genealogy as document or PDF
There's no easy way to export to .PDF in the language I'm using. I'll probably end up exporting documents as .RTF (Rich Text Format) files, which can be printed from Microsoft Word, OpenOffice and other word processors.

Speaking of genealogy reports, what kind of information would you expect to see on one?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day two update!

- Species can now be defined and managed from the "Manage Registered Species" window.
- Started work on the "Add Bird" form.
- Can now add legband number, colours, numbers & colours, or nothing whatsoever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane

ShaneGowland wrote:Speaking of genealogy reports, what kind of information would you expect to see on one?
legband number/colour
colour of the bird
maybe a link for each bird on the genealogy to their individual report
maybe some indication of this bird is in stock deceased sold etc

(Re the colour, Im thinking mainly of the mutations with gouldians)
Diane

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”