Electronic Photoperiod Timer

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
GregH

I've been asked to talk to the local bird club in Manila in August about finches and canaries. I haven't kept canaries since I was a kid but I don't remember any problems other than remembering that they need egg'n'biscuit mix to feed their young. Here however the daylength increase in "spring" is insufficent to trigger breeding. I've made a slide of this to shown this by comparing daylength in Brussels, Manila and Darwin (to show the home range of most of the finches that Filipinos keep). To overcome this lighting deficeny in the tropics, dedicated canary breeders here increase daylength from 9 to 14h by manually adjusting the lighting by 15minutes/week. Blackouts as so common here that even with mechanical socket timers it is a laborious task. The electronic ones with a battery back up are OK but still have to be advanced by 15 mins per week.

Does anyone know of an electronnic photoperiod timer that will automatically and smoothly adjust photoperiods for you? Even better would be a picture and a website for such a device.

GregH
Page0044

Sorry i can't help there Greg, beyond me but good luck with the talk
Cheers
Greg
gomer

Yes Greg,I do.I bought the second last one available in Australia.It is not a battery back up one though.The unit cost me $800 and another $2000 when i get it installed by a electrician to 19 aviarys.including extra lighting to AS.

Heres an article.you may be able to get one made there.
http://www.finchsociety.org/cfa/dimmer/dimmer.htm
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
GregH

Well Gomer that looked hopeful until read that it is no-longer manufactured. The price would be be beyond most Filipinoes - although at $600 a pair for show quality canaries there may be people around that are willing to pay. Hopefully somone else may know of a similar product. Actually I haven't Googled it yet and there may be someting available for the glasshouse industry to get Chrysanthemums or Pointsettias to flower.
gomer

the only thing i found close was the, 3Bm smart switch.Retails for less then $100.They have a home page my link does not work anymore.You can google it.here is one link which tells you a little about it.
http://www.yorkcommunications.ca/showsc ... stry%20Inc.

there is also some on ebay.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry Greg I must have wagged that day coz Im buggerred if I know what a photoperiod is.......
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
gomer

basicly.daily exposure to light.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”