Help out with Black Throat research

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Danny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane

Ive changed this topic to a sticky so it will stay at the top of the topic list while he is still looking for birds.

Hope he gets enough birds to work with.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
arthur

Re: Black-Throated Finch Conservation

by arthur on 11 Jun 2012, 15:38

Welcome to the forum Stanley

I know that the 'Blackthroat Recovery Team' has seen fit to give some lectures at avicultural gatherings . .

But what is your personal 'take' on private aviculture/ captive breeding as a conservation tool . . generally and with particular regard to the Blackthroated Finch?

And, what is the 'official' policy of the BRT organisation with regard to private aviculture/ captive breeding as a conservation tool . . generally and with particular regard to the BTF?

Stanley posted on this forum 12 months ago . . see above topic

Stan has yet to reply to my above questions

Is it just me being a little bit precious . . or is it one way traffic, with the scientific community being prepared to accept the help of aviculturists (which is always freely given); but not being prepared to endorse our hobby as a genuine force in the conservation battle

A little backup from these guys might be of assistance in our dealings with the 'anti-aviculture' stance of authorities generally, and the Queensland authorities in particular
Niki_K

Great research topic. I believe Deakin and Macquarie University are looking for students to carry out similar studies with zebs.
mickw

arthur wrote:Re: Black-Throated Finch Conservation

by arthur on 11 Jun 2012, 15:38

Welcome to the forum Stanley

I know that the 'Blackthroat Recovery Team' has seen fit to give some lectures at avicultural gatherings . .

But what is your personal 'take' on private aviculture/ captive breeding as a conservation tool . . generally and with particular regard to the Blackthroated Finch?

And, what is the 'official' policy of the BRT organisation with regard to private aviculture/ captive breeding as a conservation tool . . generally and with particular regard to the BTF?

Stanley posted on this forum 12 months ago . . see above topic

Stan has yet to reply to my above questions

Is it just me being a little bit precious . . or is it one way traffic, with the scientific community being prepared to accept the help of aviculturists (which is always freely given); but not being prepared to endorse our hobby as a genuine force in the conservation battle

A little backup from these guys might be of assistance in our dealings with the 'anti-aviculture' stance of authorities generally, and the Queensland authorities in particular
Me too Arthur, havent heard boo from anyone in the BTF programme, despite quite a few e-mails.......Anyway, still keen so I'll give this guy another go.......
mickw

Just an update.....I made contact and Stanley has very swiftly replied :thumbup: Sample kits are winging their way to me as I type. It sounds really interesting.
elferoz777

I say support the bloke.

PhD study is no joke and he probably just gets bogged down in the science.

This research is good for the hobby and for the future of this wonderful finch.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Ripley

Hello All,

I must agree that we need to be open & I think that the idea of giving blood samples is a good thing.
I
I respect the 'Black Throat Research Team' on behalf of the Finch Society Of Australia. Maybe..just maybe... we may endeavour to give blood samples of each birds held by the members. (we will work out a time where you can come to a meeting & discuss this),

We would then need to discuss where & at when testing would happen..

I know that the FSA will be happy to endorse this idea...And we look forward to a positive outcome..

Regards
Ripley (aka Christopher Brett)
SamDavis

I can't see how getting involved can't help aviculture so I'll spread the word at the next Wollongong Finch Club meeting.
arthur

Been 'off the air' for a while . .

Fully agree with support; but would love to see a little reciprocal support

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”