curious

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Reubenvg

I read a great page on grit for finches somewhere, I think it was from the QFS newsletter. Anyway it was saying some finches can die quickly without grit (under a week) so I think it's a must.

I add some iodine on occasion for my Gouldians and something-Cal for when they are breeding has vitamins and calcuim in it. Worked really well on a grouldian who lost her head feathers after breeding.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool as thanx for the great reply , ill defineatley be putting grit back in the cages but Ill do a bit of a mix as mentioned....thanx again youve all been so helpful.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

careful with the compliments Deb. you'll have people starting to think that they know what they are talking about :roll: :lol:
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: crack me up. :lol:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

I need to get some iodine for my gouldians, which brand should I use? Is this the "put in water type"?
Would it be ok to use if some birds are feeding young ones?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
gomer

mine get it in breeding aid by vetafarm.And also have biocal available by Colin Walker.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never add anything to the water. Always have cuttlefish in the aviarys and a sand floor. Which has fresh beach sand as needed. Regular lots of seed/weeds out of the garden and a fruitfly trap in the aviarys round out what I do.
One year I had a lot of seed that was full of weevils, so I used them as live food and it was the best result I ever had out of my Orange bresteds.
So when you get weevils don't winge just see them as a different form of live food. :lol:
LML
LML
E Orix

When you read articles on bird management and what a person is doing you must ask yourself are the birds being bred in outside flights like most do in Aust. or are they being kept indoors year round.
If they are being kept indoors then you have to supply EVERY thing the birds need including a very balanced diet,grit and vitamins etc. But don't over feed.
Believe me seed eaters need grit which enables them to assist in grinding up the seed, softbills don't need grit.
In outside aviaries your management is far simpler as the birds will find alot of the bits and pieces particularly if the flight is planted.
My diet for a reasonably large collection is a good mix of good quality seed, soaked seed(in vircon S) but only soaked for 2 to 3 hours and drained well(not rinsed)pound cake(sarah lee), baked egg shells, oranges or pears and water. In the breeding season a large amount of live food. Rarely if ever I have the time for green food but it grows in the aviaries and no vitamins ,oils etc.
When ever you get new seed in(bag lots) put a egg cup full onto some wet cotton wool and see how much seed germinates, This will tell you how good the quality is, if 90% germinates you are giving your birds good quality seed not rubbish. Don't buy on price buy on quality.
This diet enables me to get Weavers,Whydahs and Waxbills etc to put young on the perch.
Remember if the males get too fat there is every chance that they will become infertile until you slim them down and example of this is the Tri Coloured Parrot Finch. The male can be active and breed well then the following season fertility or poor breeding may occur. Generally the males are too fat. This may not be all the time but very often.
gomer

Good tips there.Am glad to see somone else using virkon-s.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”