Indoor or Outdoor

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
regalado95

Which do you prefer a In or Out Door Avairy?
In my opinion and outdoor avairy is better way to breed finches because they become stronger and healthier because they can take any kind of climate that is my opinion what do you guys think is better?
Indoor:1/Outdoor:3
Last edited by regalado95 on 02 Jun 2009, 14:46, edited 6 times in total.
GregH

That's my opinion too since many people who have indoor aviaries don't have full spectrum lighting or adequate ventilation and the birds will suffer from vitamin D deficency which in itself leads to calcium deficency and there's a whole cascade of events that are put in chain that cause birds housed like this to be weaker. If you live in Southern California you've got no worries but if you are in in the Rockies or up north then you've got no choice but to have an indoor aviary or the luxury of two sets of cages. I can't afford the aviaries I need let alone a second set. That said I have great respect for the northern Europeans and Canadians who must endure that environment sustain their collections using careful ligthing and diets to ensure their birds stay healthy but certainly they will be more fragile and you'd have to be careful putting them in an outdoor aviary.
Last edited by GregH on 01 Jun 2009, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
gomer

would only use a indoor for sick birds or short periods,For the same reasons as mentioned by Greg and yourself.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive designed my aviaries to be indoor / outdoor so I get the best of both worlds.
In good weather they can be wheeled outside and at night or in bad weather they are wheeled into the garage.
Having said that I do keep my quarrions inside god forbid another bird might tell them they not little humans lol they go outside in good weather but mostly like to be at the back door or in with the family.
If I owned my own place then ideally my birds would be outside all the time but at the moment they are portable.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”