uninvited guest?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Geese

is it a bad idea to introduce a new pair of zebras into a cage that is currently occupied by another pair? i noticed that the original female zebra is harassing the new female zebra, and the new male zebra is harassing the old male zebra. any suggestions? or is it normal to have small hostility in the beginning?
GregH

Well there should be no problem if your cage is big enough. Zebs are fairly social creatures but like most birds there is a "pecking order" that has to be sorted out and that's what they're doing. Once dominance order is established the hostilities should cease. If they don't then it's time to start getting more cages!
Geese

do you know how long the "pecking order" usually last for? i hope order is established because i dont wanna buy another cage and i dont have room for it. :lol: and how big is big enough, because my cage is about 1.5' long, 1.25' wide and 1.5' high.
GregH

If you're talking meters and not feet then it should be large enough for two pairs but if you're talking feet then you have to get a new cage. Dominance issues are usually resolved within 3 days.
Last edited by GregH on 02 Jun 2009, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Geese

its only been about a day and a half since they've first met. so lets see how it goes from then
Mattyboy

All birds are different, but generally I've found it a very BAD idea to have two pairs of zebras sharing one space. The males will fight.
If you want a zeb colony, and where there is enough space, I'd advise three pairs (or more) - as that defuses the aggression, but two is a no-no.
Geese

the cage i have is actually a meter in length, 1.5 feet high, and 1.5 feet wide. so far the 2 pair zebras keep their space. the only hostility that i see is the old female zebra going after the new female zebra sometimes. but not a lot. the males arent agressive towards each other though which doesn't make a lot of sense lol.
GregH

I have 2 pr of zebs in a mixed collection and haven't experienced any problems but my aviary is much bigger. The meter length is OK but the other dimentions (1.5 X1.5 feet) don't offer any opportunity for retreat. Sounds like your cage is too small, you might consider dividing it.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”