Rats!!!!!!!!!!!

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
regalado95

I'm so pissed :evil: I had a unpleasant visitor today and ruined everything aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh that little rat I hate it so much I caught it so happily eating my society finch eggs I got so mad I called my dad and my dad at first didn't believe me so I told the rat is still their come and check he said he was on his way by he way he was with our neighbor working so when he came he unlocked the lock on the cage when inside with a pointy metal and all I saw was a retarded rat running around like crazy then I saw it trying to squeak through the wire but I can't believe it got have way out a wire that barely a baby's finger can fit I tried to stomp on it to kill it but the rat saw me coming and went right back inside and my dad chasing her around until it escaped and my dog chasing it but the darn rat got away but she began the war and doesn't know who she is messing with please give me some suggestion on how to kill that little pest. :evil: but I'm worry about my birds because she left a lot of rat droppings and inside the nest which are really high I can barley rich inside their like 7 feet of the ground but they still have some eggs but I don't want to o in and disturb the breeding process and are the rat droppings dangerous to my birds health? :? :shock:
By the way I found where its hiding cover the whole but before I put a poison bag.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Traps traps and more traps , edible cooking oil on any surface it uses for climbing.
Fill the holes with silicone and place sharp nails in the silicone facing away from the birds.
Electrify the wire if possible.
wouldnt be putting poison down in case it drags it in to the aviary.
Cant think of any thing else right now but good luck with it .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Faceofred

I agree, traps all around the hole
mickw

jusdeb wrote:...............Electrify the wire if possible........ .
Do you mean electrify the wire netting covering the whole avairy :?: .....I'm curious....Is anybody doing this :?: ....and how :?: .....I can see this as useful to keep cats, rats & birds of prey away....but what about the inhabitants :|
brad359

no you run eletric wire single strand around bottom and on top isulated from mesh of aviary like the ones you can buy to keep dogs out of garden etc
regalado95

OK thanks for clarifying that I was a little confused but now I know how thank you all for your ideas and I'll try them out and see what happens since rats and mice always find a way through just in case please keep posting ideas.
()'v')">"> STAR
()__)_)/)
/ / /
OWL GOULDIAN
mickw

brad359 wrote:no you run eletric wire single strand around bottom and on top isulated from mesh of aviary like the ones you can buy to keep dogs out of garden etc
Thanks, I was pretty sure of that too, but never one to die wondering..... 8-)

On that note.......electrification......pricey ???.....any good ideas

I know, I know.........a pair of birds will be upwards of $100......never mind the loss of revenue if their breeding is disrupted!
brad359

i dont think that you need a sparkie it is only 12 volts you can buy the kits from pet shops their to keepdogs on out of your garden or on your block you need the stand alone ones not sure on price.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”