best types of nesting boxes for finches

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
craigp

could some members post up some pics of suitable nesting boxes for finches,also, do you fill them with straw etc??,or do you leave that to them?? cheers craigp...
craigp

:think:
craigp wrote:could some members post up some pics of suitable nesting boxes for finches,also, do you fill them with straw etc??,or do you leave that to them?? cheers craigp...
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just use half open and a small version of a budgie box..and some larger cane type nests..as for putting anything in there I leave that to the birds...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I add a little bit of grass to the nest boxes for my Gouldians, just to get them started.

I've found that many will build really lousy nests unless they're given a little help. Perhaps decades of domestication has robbed them of this skill.
craigp

thanks for the replys.. :thumbup:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ShaneGowland wrote:I add a little bit of grass to the nest boxes for my Gouldians, just to get them started.

I've found that many will build really lousy nests unless they're given a little help. Perhaps decades of domestication has robbed them of this skill.

Strange my gouldians build nest almost as good as a pf nest.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use a wide mix. Wooden boxs, small hollow logs, plastic and metal fishing floats, cardboard boxs, old light fittings and rat balls. If it is a suitable size, shape, material, I give it a go. And so do the finches. I put a little dry grass in the bottom of plastic and metal nests to give the birds a starting foundation to build on, but otherwise leave it up to them.
LML
LML
craigp

:thumbup:
finchbreeder wrote:I use a wide mix. Wooden boxs, small hollow logs, plastic and metal fishing floats, cardboard boxs, old light fittings and rat balls. If it is a suitable size, shape, material, I give it a go. And so do the finches. I put a little dry grass in the bottom of plastic and metal nests to give the birds a starting foundation to build on, but otherwise leave it up to them.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”