DNATesting

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Rob

Can someone tell me what feather to pluck for DNA testing for sex. Maybe with a picture if possible. The guy whose number I got for doing this isn't returning my emails and never answers his phone so Im asking here instead.
Thanks
gomer

Heres the instructions that come with where I send mine to. Although I send 1 or 2 flight feathers personally depending on value of bird being plucked. I will pull the second flight feather in. I think these feathers have plenty of shaft.
20150530_142329.jpg

We perform the DNA sexing on the shaft of the feather (pin). Therefore the feather needs
the shaft intact and you must avoid contaminating it with your own DNA so avoid
handling the shaft. Please carefully follow the instructions below on how to collect
feather samples:
(1) Pluck two feathers (3-5cm in length) small birds such as finches (3-4 feathers) or 8-10 (downy
feathers in very young birds). Be careful not to touch the ‘pin’ of the feather with your fingers.
(2) Place the feathers in either a zip lock plastic bag or a new paper envelope.
(3) Using a pencil or biro, write the bird’s name and/or ring number and the species of the bird on the
outside. Fill-in the submission form (if you have one).
(4) Place the samples bags into an envelope and return with cheque or money order made payable to
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Rob

So that second in bigger flight feather should be enough - just the 1? Or will I still need 2 or 3
Any tips for plucking it? I'm a little nervous that I might hurt it or will it come out easily?
Greg41

Hi Rob, I have sent you a PM, Dr Groth is on long Service leave at this time

Cheers
GDG
E Orix

I pull two tail feathers out.
As it doesn't effect their flight

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”