Where to from here?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Masterfincher

Hi all,
Been thinking what type of finch to get next; i havent seen any pictorellas, yellow rumped munias or masked finches ever for sale here in Bundaberg, wondering if they are popular birds elsewhere, and/ or difficult to breed in mixed aviaries. I have had success with a variety of types- plumheads, stars, cubans, cordons, gouldians, St Helenas, etcetera.
Any other types that might be a bit different that you might think could be popular would also be appreciated. Thanks.
arthur

Good to see your breeding successes . .

If you can breed Plumheads, you can breed any, and all of the species that you are considering

Pictorellas, and Yellowrumps are 'boom and bust' finches, in that they seem to fall from favour . . and become scarce

And then the price goes up, and they become popular again . .

Some say that you cannot breed 'Pickies' without live food, particularly white-ants; but they will breed on green seed, soaked seed and other greens alone

Provide both and you won't stop them

Yellowrumps are as easy as any of the munias

Masks, particularly White-Ears are a bit shy, and probably will do better housed in a colony of three or more pairs . . live food and greens also appreciated

Used to be a lot of good finch breeders around Bundy, and a bit surprised that the birds you mention are no longer available there
Masterfincher

Thanks Arthur, good info. i do feed termites, along with plenty of greens, soaked seed and mealworms, so i would expect they'd all do ok.
And yes, Bundy does have some good breeders, but i was just thinking of the last few sales ive been to and what i haven't seen, and wondered why.
Masterfincher

Any other suggestions? Any types in decline that could maybe do with a hand? Any types that were popular but just aren't "it" at the moment?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Masterfincher wrote:Any other suggestions? Any types in decline that could maybe do with a hand? Any types that were popular but just aren't "it" at the moment?

Pure normal Javas... normal RFPF...Normal RF Stars...pretty much normals in anything...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Masterfincher

Thanks vettepilot,
yep, seems mutations are popular but I do generally like the 'normals' more - I already have normal RFPF and Stars, they are going well. Might try the some Javas, I've never had them. Thanks :)
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Masterfincher wrote:Thanks vettepilot,
yep, seems mutations are popular but I do generally like the 'normals' more - I already have normal RFPF and Stars, they are going well. Might try the some Javas, I've never had them. Thanks :)
Try find ones without white feathers under chin. ...I was sold some normal rf stars...turns out they're splits...peeves me no end...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”