Gouldian can't fly

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
DonnaJ

I need help. Has anyone had a Gouldian that has stopped flying? It first had a poo problem but that is now fixed but since then it can't fly. It tries but it's body seems to be to heavy for it. This has been going on for about a week now. I have placed extra perches from the floor of the aviary upwards so it can perch at night. It uses thes all the time to get up high. I see it trying to fly from small heights around 20cm but just goes straight to the floor. Any advice would be appreciated.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When sitting relaxed..how does it look? Fluffed? Wings dropped? or tight feathered and sleek looking? Stand away from cage when checking it out...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
matcho

I have a cock bird who has the same problem but do not know why. Last year he went through the moult, perfect, then lost his flight and tail feathers and became a "runner". He is a beautiful looking bird now having just completed the moult, flying normally, singing etc etc but noticed this morning one of his flight feathers looks a bit suspect. Hope it doesn't go the same way this year. In regards to your problem is it a cock or a hen? Sounds like a classic egg binding issue but normally last a day or two, but over two weeks I doubt this could be the case. Hope it works out ok.

Ken.
Craig52

I think you may find that it's a problem with the kidney's as you said it had a poop problem. You will find that the the medication that you have used has inflamed the kidneys and this in turn effects the muscles for flying. It should settle down after a few weeks and yes it's very similar to an egg bound bird syndrome.
Give it plenty of seeding grasses to flush it's system out and put on a good vitamin and amino acid powder imo. Craig
DonnaJ

It's a cock bird born this year going through moult. When hopping around it's not puffy. Has a planted aviary and gets soaked seed and brocolli for greens. Seems happy just can't fly. When it tries it's wing feather do drop down.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DonnaJ wrote:It's a cock bird born this year going through moult. When hopping around it's not puffy. Has a planted aviary and gets soaked seed and brocolli for greens. Seems happy just can't fly. When it tries it's wing feather do drop down.
May have injured its wing/s....give it a few weeks of quiet...probably come good then... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”