Weebills in captivity?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
TimidFinch

Not that long ago I noticed the tiniest bird I'd ever seen outside my window. It was so cute I couldn't believe it. I now notice them ever so often flitting about the trees outside, barely even moving the skinniest twigs when perching on them. After a very long attempt to identify them, I'm pretty sure they're weebills - Australia's smallest bird.

Are they in captivity? Am I allowed them in my aviary? We're allowed so many natives as pets I'm inclined to say yes, as they're apparently quite common with stable populations, but considering I can't seem to find any information regarding them other than scientific type stuff, I'm of the belief they're not in the pet trade (usually a good thing unless you're desperate for them!!)

Edit: also, if they are in captivity and anyone knows of breeders, let me know!
E Orix

I doubt if it was a Weebill most likely a Pardalote
To keep them you would need a Licence.
Also they would be far to difficult for you to keep unless you were an experienced keeper.
At your stage of bird keeping it may be better to target the easier to keep types
I see you are after Orange Breasted Waxbills which is a good choice, they are all
aviary bred as they are not native to Australia.
Use the Forum and don't be afraid to ask questions
Craig52

I doubt that also, most likely Yellow rump Thornbills or Silver Eyes, both are able to be kept on licence. Silver eyes are a good introduction to softbills imo. Craig
finchbird2015

TimidFinch was this the bird your saw?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimidFinch

Yup, that's the one.

Oh well, at least I can enjoy them in my garden. Sadly, they appear to be the only native visitors among the Indian myners, starlings, doves, sparrows and black birds in my yard.
finchbird2015

Can relate to that only native bird that visits is the tui (which is great too see),mostly sparrows,starlings, thrushs with a few goldfinches,chafinches and the odd greenfinch and waxeye(slivereye).
garyh

Have heaps of these little birds in the back yard ,love them ,but i think better left in the wild,cheers garyh
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Orange Breasteds are a great finch to keep. Glad I live in WA, we still seem to get a mix of silvereyes, willie wagtails, peewees and doves as well as the irritating curawongs, in the backyard. Possibly only having 1 neighbour and bush helps.
LML
LML
TimidFinch

finchbreeder wrote:Orange Breasteds are a great finch to keep. Glad I live in WA, we still seem to get a mix of silvereyes, willie wagtails, peewees and doves as well as the irritating curawongs, in the backyard. Possibly only having 1 neighbour and bush helps.
LML
Willie wagtails! Haven't seen one of those in yonks! They used to give me some bluff as I walked home from school, always found it so funny at how daring they were.

Sadly it's not only the invasives of the winged variety invading my garden, either.. The only animals I ever see are red foxes, stray cats and rabbits!

I'm only just fully appreciating how displaced our native wildlife as I type this post :(

I'm in suburban Melbourne, though. Hopefully in the bush is a little different, though I know cats and foxes are a problem across most of Australia. It's a wonder we have any natives left.
Zippythedoublebar

TimidFinch wrote:
finchbreeder wrote:Orange Breasteds are a great finch to keep. Glad I live in WA, we still seem to get a mix of silvereyes, willie wagtails, peewees and doves as well as the irritating curawongs, in the backyard. Possibly only having 1 neighbour and bush helps.
LML
Willie wagtails! Haven't seen one of those in yonks! They used to give me some bluff as I walked home from school, always found it so funny at how daring they were.

Sadly it's not only the invasives of the winged variety invading my garden, either.. The only animals I ever see are red foxes, stray cats and rabbits!

I'm only just fully appreciating how displaced our native wildlife as I type this post :(

I'm in suburban Melbourne, though. Hopefully in the bush is a little different, though I know cats and foxes are a problem across most of Australia. It's a wonder we have any natives left.

Funny all YOU say that it's been years since I saw a forest king fisher.... I used to see them all the time at my place probably the last time I saw one was when the Pasha bulka crashed! A decade ago!
50 Zebras 6 different mutations 1 pair of Cordon Bleus 1 pair of Gouldians 30 King and Button Quail 6 pairs of Society Finches a pair of double bar finches a pair of Red browed Finches a pair of diamond doves and 2 pairs of red faced parrot Finches.
Hoping to get turquoise parrots tri coloured parrot Finches diamond firetails and more Zeb mutations

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”