Advice needed.

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
kazfromadelaide

Hi all...... Some Finch advice needed and where to buy... We are almost finished a new enclosure and I would like some finches...... I have only just started looking and am overwhelmed by the glorious colours they come in.....
#1 - Most birds I know of the male is generally more colourful than the female... Is this the same with Finches ? ?
#2 - Is it Ok to house 3 or 4 females on their own or would I be better off with 2 pair ? ?
#3 - I don't really want to breed them but are they happier with a mate ? ?
#4 - Which varieties are Ok together ? ?
#5 - Are there some that are noisy / aggressive to avoid ? ?
#6 - Which ones don't need permits ? ?
#7 - Any recommendations on where to buy, does any one close to Mt Barker have any to sell ? ?
Thanks in advance
XX KAZ XX
Nat&Glenn

Hi Kaz
Being new to finches as well I can help with a couple of your questions
1 most male finches have better colour
2 I have been told to have all males in an aviary
3 http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/compatible_species.php goood website
4 I don't have an answer for you on the last 2 but I'm sure someone will be able to help you
you could check out the For Sale in classifieds on this site
Hope this helps
Nat & Glenn
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're completely new to finches, I'd suggest starting with zebras. They're very cheap and very good at surviving.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#1 - Most birds I know of the male is generally more colourful than the female... Is this the same with Finches ? ? ** In many varieties yes, but equally there are a lot of monochromatic finches out there, where it is hard to even sex them until you leard to pick out the minor differences.
#2 - Is it Ok to house 3 or 4 females on their own or would I be better off with 2 pair ? ? ** Economically an avairy of males is best, but any single sex avairy is fine if you do not want to breed. And one pair or 3 pair is best because of pecking order. With 2 pair there is a dominant and submissive pair.
#3 - I don't really want to breed them but are they happier with a mate ? ? ** With a friend yes, same sex opposite sex all good either way in most cases.
#4 - Which varieties are Ok together ? ? ** The link given in previous post is good, and read posts on here where people talk about what they mix and in what size avairys and circumstances, as that matters.
#5 - Are there some that are noisy / aggressive to avoid ? ? ** Depends if you put them on their own or mix them.
#6 - Which ones don't need permits ? ? ** Sorry wrong state for me to help you.
#7 - Any recommendations on where to buy, does any one close to Mt Barker have any to sell ? ? ** As per answer to 6. Read the for sales on the forum and put up your own wanted add here, you could be lucky.

LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”