mites in a planted aviary

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
shnapper20

I use to have a large clump of bamboo in one of my aviaries, It should have been ideal to breed in yet nothing much did. Upon closer inspection I found the bamboo infested with what looked like small black mites, I believe these had been attacking any bird attempting to nest there. So out came the coopex drowned the aviary about 3 times only to find the bamboo still infested. I believe the bamboo was that thick and dense it was near impossible to get full coverage with the coopex. I removed the bamboo (that was an effort)and havent seen any of the mites in the 2-3yrs since. I now have other plants which are just as dense and could possibly house these mites . I havent looked for a while and regularily coopex mainly for ants. Has anybody else experienced similar to this ? and how do you keep this threat under control in a planted aviary? thanks john
Craig52

Hi John, I have them in my aviaries. I don't think they are the type of mite that really effects the birds such as blood sucking but they live in area's that can't be keep clean and feed on feather dust and other fine debris. I find them in used nest boxes but they don't seem to effect nestlings imo.
Summer time increases their population but in Winter they seem to disappear. Craig
shnapper20

fingers crossed mine are the same as yours and dont effect the birds thanks craig
garyh

A few years back travelling up to Yea i came across a large patch of swamp grass,seeing as everybody seamed to use this grass i helped myself to a few bags and as it was the start of the breeding season i filled all the nest boxes with this grass,about six weeks past and i had noticed that the birds were very cautious and had stopped entering the boxes ,the birds were also lethargic,on inspection there were heaps of these small black mites running around in every box,removed the nesting material to find all this fine greyish white powder in the bottom of the boxes,sprayed with avian liquidator as i know it won't affect the birds,filled boxes with november grass and have never had a problem since,goes to show you never know what you pick up,garyh
shnapper20

i think thats where I first noticed them in the swamp grass. I now spray the nesting boxes with surface spray prior to filling them with swamp grass in case they are present.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”