Highest Priced Finches?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
starman

TimidFinch wrote:For curiosity's sake, what's the most pricy finch species you can buy in Australia?

I don't think I've seen anything listed over $200 (not that I've done much looking tbh)

The FSA's Guide to Finch Prices 2016 lists the Black-Rumped Waxbill as the highest priced @ $1800 per pair.

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

starman wrote:
TimidFinch wrote:For curiosity's sake, what's the most pricy finch species you can buy in Australia?

I don't think I've seen anything listed over $200 (not that I've done much looking tbh)

The FSA's Guide to Finch Prices 2016 lists the Black-Rumped Waxbill as the highest priced @ $1800 per pair.

Sm.
Purple Grenadiers $2000 pr ....Couple of years ago Green Strawberry $2500 pr
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
MuzzaD

Red Eared Firetails would have to be one of the tops. Quotes seem to be above $1500
Craig52

White bellied crimsons would be the lower of high priced finches being $1000 to $1200 a pr for an Australian finch. Red ears and Beautiful firetails can top this recommended price by a few hundred dollars.
It all boils down to rarity, availability and the ability to breed these finches in suitable conditions with an appropiate diet. imo. Craig
wanderlei

Thanks for the tips gents, it is appreciated.
toothlessjaws

Craig52 wrote:White bellied crimsons would be the lower of high priced finches being $1000 to $1200 a pr for an Australian finch. Red ears and Beautiful firetails can top this recommended price by a few hundred dollars.
It all boils down to rarity, availability and the ability to breed these finches in suitable conditions with an appropiate diet. imo. Craig
being natives, and indeed natives of the southern states, its always surprised me that these two firetail species are amongst the cream of the crop. I would have expected them to be very common. Craig do you know what it is of those factors you mention that has them commanding such a high price?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

toothlessjaws wrote:
Craig52 wrote:White bellied crimsons would be the lower of high priced finches being $1000 to $1200 a pr for an Australian finch. Red ears and Beautiful firetails can top this recommended price by a few hundred dollars.
being natives, and indeed natives of the southern states, its always surprised me that these two firetail species are amongst the cream of the crop. I would have expected them to be very common. Craig do you know what it is of those factors you mention that has them commanding such a high price?
Hard to breed in certain areas I would assume...more a drier climate finch :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
toothlessjaws

vettepilot_6 wrote:Hard to breed in certain areas I would assume...more a drier climate finch :think:
beautiful firetails? they come from southern Vic and Tassie!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... bution.jpg
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

toothlessjaws wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:Hard to breed in certain areas I would assume...more a drier climate finch :think:
beautiful firetails? they come from southern Vic and Tassie!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... bution.jpg
Maybe very low humidity then
Craig52

toothlessjaws wrote:
Hi TJ, they have always been a very hard to get species. I'm pretty sure they were placed on a licence above Advanced for many years until they were dropped to the Advanced licence.
The advanced licence being so costly has put a damper on who can keep them and to whom they can sell them to when bred imo.
Beautiful's were thought to be endemic to Tasmania and migrated to the Victorian coast and back but recently permanent flocks have been discovered up the East coast as far as Newcastle NSW.
The Red ear fire tail is very similar but only being found in the South West of WA, the past WA Government's made it very hard for anyone to breed them in captivity let a lone export them to the Eastern States.
Feeding of both species rely on copious amounts of seeding grasses and health problems such as protozoan and fungal diseases kill them quickly.
I probably haven't answered your question very well in regards of their price but they are a problem bird to keep in my experience and imo. Craig

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”