Highest Priced Finches?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
wanderlei

I listen to a podcast and Tyrone Spong said that some finches can reach $5000 in price. This is not Aussie ones, I think American or South Americian, is this price possible?
Masterfincher

Not sure about the rarest/most sought after in Australia, but I have noticed prices have dropped over the last 4-5 years of keeping a variety of the more popular, average 'common' finches, and less people seem to be interested - just a sign of the times, I suppose :) - but those who are passionate live and dream of one day having their ideal finch.
starman

There would be little point in having a $5000 finch here....it would take $5000 a month in security services to prevent it 'walking'. :)

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
toothlessjaws

wanderlei wrote:I listen to a podcast and Tyrone Spong said that some finches can reach $5000 in price. This is not Aussie ones, I think American or South Americian, is this price possible?
I am not sure if $5,000 is a ballpark price per pair of some of the rarest types of finches in Australia. Its true that the highest priced species would likely be exotics as this is what contributes to their rarity and value. Orange cheeks, purple grenadiers - may fetch this price but i think unlikely.

$2000-$3000 seems to be more the highest end of the scale i see for the rare softbills and finches but who knows?
E Orix

It is surprising what people are willing to pay for some species
Today some of the species that were expensive and hard to acquire are now easily obtained
not because interest has lessened but breeding methods have improved which means more
are being bred. Demand is there still. Most expensive finches are sold word of mouth
wanderlei

Thanks guys, I was just wondering if Spong was talking rubbish. Sounds like it might be true, if you're talking about super rare, top end of town.

Nice little forum you have here. I just sort of come here by accident to ask question but they look like such beautiful creatures. Is there like a beginners guide or such to learn entry level Finch care?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wanderlei wrote:Thanks guys, I was just wondering if Spong was talking rubbish. Sounds like it might be true, if you're talking about super rare, top end of town.

Nice little forum you have here. I just sort of come here by accident to ask question but they look like such beautiful creatures. Is there like a beginners guide or such to learn entry level Finch care?
You have started in the right place...start with hardy ones. .zebs or javas or bengalese
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
starman

wanderlei wrote: Is there like a beginners guide or such to learn entry level Finch care?
Firstly, WELCOME to the AFF, Wanderlei....

As already suggested, this forum has a wealth of practical information on all aspects of finch aviculture. The forum and a small selection of good reference books will get you headed in the right direction and will help prevent you from making expensive mistakes.
If you should be inclined to buy any books on the subject, avoid the ones written at PET CARE level and buy the more comprehensive ones aimed at the more serious hobbyist/breeder....those written by Australian authors are tailored for Australian conditions/seasons. This will be money well spent as you progress to more advanced levels. Do lots of reading BEFORE you buy any birds and research the requirements of your chosen species.

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
MuzzaD

Hi,
You can also look up the Finch Society of WA website ( which needs some work), but it does give the dates of a show and auction in April at the Robinson Reserve in Tuart Hill. This would give you an opportunity to see different finches on show and also get an idea of pricing. There are also many friendly people to give you advice, particularly throughout the show area.
The Zebra FSWA are having their Young Bird Show there as well and you would see all the mutations of these wonderful and inexpensive little birds.

Happy birding.
TimidFinch

For curiosity's sake, what's the most pricy finch species you can buy in Australia?

I don't think I've seen anything listed over $200 (not that I've done much looking tbh)

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”