What finches would be suitable in my area?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
BirdLvR81

Hey guys and girls I'm seriously thinking about getting into finches again,only problem I'm having is what species would be suitable for my area.I live in Tumbaruma NSW which is on the sth western slopes of the snowy mountains, winter temps here drop to as low as -12 at night with heavy frosts and light snow,the plan is to build a bank of 8 each aviary measuring 1 metre wide by 3 metres long housing a pair of finches in each section,attached to the front of that would be 1 larger aviary measuring approx 5 metres long by 8 metres wide and that would house a mixed collection of finches and possibly doves,Any advice on suitable species that would handle the cold winters here would be much appreciated.TIA
Matt
jonno0383

If you're considering finches in that sort of environment I would seriously consider heating in parts of the aviaries, full roofing, insulation and the ability to enclose your aviaries in extremes. Breeders from Tasmania would be a get source of information in that regards. Also how hot does it get where you are and is there a lot of drafts?
BirdLvR81

jonno0383 wrote:If you're considering finches in that sort of environment I would seriously consider heating in parts of the aviaries, full roofing, insulation and the ability to enclose your aviaries in extremes. Breeders from Tasmania would be a get source of information in that regards. Also how hot does it get where you are and is there a lot of drafts?
Summer temps generally get to a max 35 i believe,was thinking insulation and full roofing would be the was to go and enclosing them wouldn't be a problem.and yes we get quite a lot of draft
Matt
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What finches are native to the area? Cafe blinds that can come down to keep out draughts, and go up in pleasant weather would be good. Welcome back to finches.
LML
LML
toothlessjaws

also look at what setups people in the UK use. Not all you aviaries need to be suitable for birds year round. in the cold months when you are not breeding you could house keep them in one heated space, then put out to the other aviaries for breeding over spring/summer.
BirdLvR81

finchbreeder wrote:What finches are native to the area? Cafe blinds that can come down to keep out draughts, and go up in pleasant weather would be good. Welcome back to finches.
LML
TBH with u i have no idea ill do a bit of research tonight,i know we get a lot of red capped robins and different wrens and parrots but ill do a little googling tonight and check through my bird books and see what i can find.
Matt
BirdLvR81

toothlessjaws wrote:also look at what setups people in the UK use. Not all you aviaries need to be suitable for birds year round. in the cold months when you are not breeding you could house keep them in one heated space, then put out to the other aviaries for breeding over spring/summer.
Thats a great idea i never thought of that,cheers
Matt
BirdLvR81

So after some research here is a list of finches and softbills native to my area

Black-chinned Honeyeater (eastern form)-Melithreptus gularis gularis
Hooded Robin (south-eastern form)-Melanodryas cucullata cucullata
Painted Honeyeater-Grantiella picta
Pink Robin-petroica rodinogaster
Regent Honeyeater-Xanthomyza phrygia
Diamond Firetail-Stagonopleura guttata
Eastern Yellow Robin-Eopsaltria australis
Weebill-Smicrornis brevirostris
Yellow Thornbill-Acanthiza nana
Red Wattlebird-Anthochaera carunculata
Restless Flycatcher-Myiagra inquieta
Silvereye-Zosterops lateralis
Spotted Pardalote-Pardalotus punctatus
Striated Pardalote-Pardalotus striatus
Superb Fairy-wren-Malurus cyaneus
Matt
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Surprisingly high number of softbills. Those little guys must be tougher than they look. But take considerable experience because of the feeding. So while that is interesting, it is not really that helpful. Sorry.
LML
LML
BirdLvR81

finchbreeder wrote:Surprisingly high number of softbills. Those little guys must be tougher than they look. But take considerable experience because of the feeding. So while that is interesting, it is not really that helpful. Sorry.
LML
i have to agree! only one finch species is native to my area,I'm sure i can work something out though as theres many breeders in Canberra which have the same extremely cold winters
Matt

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”