What finches would be suitable in my area?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Craig52

BirdLvR81 wrote:
finchbreeder wrote:Surprisingly high number of softbills. Those little guys must be tougher than they look. But take considerable experience because of the feeding. So while that is interesting, it is not really that helpful. Sorry.
LML
i have to agree! only one finch species is native to my area,I'm sure i can work something out though as theres many breeders in Canberra which have the same extremely cold winters
I'm fairly sure that red browed finches would be in your area as well. So what about a small colony of them and Diamond Firetails. Craig
mattymeischke

Hi Matt,
I have to totally disagree with the idea that finches need artificial heat to live/breed happily in Tumbybloodyrumba. As long as they have a dry, draft-free shelter to retreat to, they tolerate the cold much better than the heat. We have -10s sometimes in winter here, and after I break the waterbowl ice with a small hammer I keep in the aviary for this specific purpose, they will often come down immediately to bathe in the water.

It is a common misconception amongst people who don't live in cold country that the birds will fall off the perch if it is sooo cold that a Sydney professional wold feel discomfort. On the contrary, as your list of locals shows, numerous birds thrive in your part of the world; I would add red-brows and striated thornbills to the list (I have seen them at Adelong Falls which is not so far from you), and would expect you would get some exotics like skylarks, gold finches and maybe greenfinches, and some occasional visitors like whitefaces, plumheaded finches and zebs.

The risk is that you build an insulated hotbox in fear of winter or in imitation of European practices and find out the hard way (as I did) that the heat is much more of a problem for the birds than the cold. There are of course some birds I would absolutely not keep here where I live (or in Tumby); these would include pictorellas which really can't stand cold, but not many others. Gouldians have a reputation for not tolerating the cold but I have had young fledge into a minus 8 day and survive. 40+ degree days, though, they struggle; they show visible signs of heat stress and stay still on the ground panting unless disturbed. Young often fledge too young on such days and can often die, eggs get cooked in nest boxes placed next to the tin in the roof and stressed parents abandon.

If you want Gouldians, I would suggest buying outdoor-bred birds from places with similar climate (like Canberra...). Apart from them, ensure that you have a draft-free and dry shelter and you should be right. If you are ever around Canberra/Goulburn/Yass you could perhaps check out my place and help me to find home for a few young birds (currently have young painted firetails, some chestnut-breasted mannikins, a few other things).

(ducks for cover)

Matt.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Totally agree Matty....cold is not the problem. ..drafts and dampness real killer. .. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
BirdLvR81

mattymeischke wrote:Hi Matt,
I have to totally disagree with the idea that finches need artificial heat to live/breed happily in Tumbybloodyrumba. As long as they have a dry, draft-free shelter to retreat to, they tolerate the cold much better than the heat. We have -10s sometimes in winter here, and after I break the waterbowl ice with a small hammer I keep in the aviary for this specific purpose, they will often come down immediately to bathe in the water.

It is a common misconception amongst people who don't live in cold country that the birds will fall off the perch if it is sooo cold that a Sydney professional wold feel discomfort. On the contrary, as your list of locals shows, numerous birds thrive in your part of the world; I would add red-brows and striated thornbills to the list (I have seen them at Adelong Falls which is not so far from you), and would expect you would get some exotics like skylarks, gold finches and maybe greenfinches, and some occasional visitors like whitefaces, plumheaded finches and zebs.

The risk is that you build an insulated hotbox in fear of winter or in imitation of European practices and find out the hard way (as I did) that the heat is much more of a problem for the birds than the cold. There are of course some birds I would absolutely not keep here where I live (or in Tumby); these would include pictorellas which really can't stand cold, but not many others. Gouldians have a reputation for not tolerating the cold but I have had young fledge into a minus 8 day and survive. 40+ degree days, though, they struggle; they show visible signs of heat stress and stay still on the ground panting unless disturbed. Young often fledge too young on such days and can often die, eggs get cooked in nest boxes placed next to the tin in the roof and stressed parents abandon.

If you want Gouldians, I would suggest buying outdoor-bred birds from places with similar climate (like Canberra...). Apart from them, ensure that you have a draft-free and dry shelter and you should be right. If you are ever around Canberra/Goulburn/Yass you could perhaps check out my place and help me to find home for a few young birds (currently have young painted firetails, some chestnut-breasted mannikins, a few other things).

(ducks for cover)

Matt.
Oh great news so all hope isn't lost then,i occasionally do trips up Canberra way will stay in touch and see if ur around next time I'm heading that way and might pop in and check out some of ur aviaries to steal some ideas if thats ok,as for the red brows now u mention it i do recall seeing them down at paddy's river which is just up the road from me,thanks so much for ur help very much appreciated.

P.S Good to see someone knows of Tumba bloody rumba because usually when i say where i live people look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language lol
Matt
BirdLvR81

Craig52 wrote:
BirdLvR81 wrote:
finchbreeder wrote:Surprisingly high number of softbills. Those little guys must be tougher than they look. But take considerable experience because of the feeding. So while that is interesting, it is not really that helpful. Sorry.
LML
i have to agree! only one finch species is native to my area,I'm sure i can work something out though as theres many breeders in Canberra which have the same extremely cold winters
I'm fairly sure that red browed finches would be in your area as well. So what about a small colony of them and Diamond Firetails. Craig
Both species were actually on my list before i made this post so will definitely be some of the first birds i get
Matt
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Totally agree Matty....cold is not the problem. ..drafts and dampness real killer. .. :thumbup:
I 2nd that. Hence the suggestion of cafe blinds to keep out the drafts.
And the 2 locals you have available to you are both beautiful birds, so a great way to start.
LML
LML
mattymeischke

In case anyone is wondering about Tumbybloodyrumba: http://users.tpg.com.au/dandsc/op/op25.htm
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
E Orix

While Albury doesn't get as many cold days as you would experience we do get some very low temperatures.
All my aviaries are open but have good deep dry areas available. With the exception of my Painted Finches
all birds remain outside including Gouldians. The Painted are brought not because of the cold but to keep them in a very dry situation
BirdLvR81

E Orix wrote:While Albury doesn't get as many cold days as you would experience we do get some very low temperatures.
All my aviaries are open but have good deep dry areas available. With the exception of my Painted Finches
all birds remain outside including Gouldians. The Painted are brought not because of the cold but to keep them in a very dry situation
Thanks so much for ur input,so the general advice is a dry and draught free sheltered area and i can keep most finches apart from the a few exceptions already mentioned under the right conditions,I'm assuming it would be the same for the foreign finches also,I haven't actually lived here long but mum tells me the snow fall has only started to happen here in town over the last couple of years although i was here for last winter and we only had sleet but the long cold days were awful lol
Matt
starman

mattymeischke wrote:In case anyone is wondering about Tumbybloodyrumba: http://users.tpg.com.au/dandsc/op/op25.htm
Ripperbloodyditty Matty.

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”