Is this plant dangerous to finches

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
shayne

Hi Guys,
I've bought a Leea Cocinea Rubra plant and was going to put it in the aviary. I've seen some information that it's poisonous if ingested and others say it has medicinal properties.
Obviously I don't want to poison my finches.
Any advice is appreciated

Cheers
TimidFinch

If it's poisonous to humans, it's possibly poisonous to birds. So you'd take the risk planting it inside the aviary.

Speaking from my experience only, I plant whatever in my aviary, as I believe that birds naturally sense, through smell and bitter taste, what they can and can't eat.

I've had oleander in my aviary without issue. I only took it out because of its vigorous growth.
shayne

Thanks for your reply Timidfinch,
I see the Oleander are highly toxic.
Back to Google for this one I think.

cheers
arthur

TimidFinch wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 13:26 I believe that birds naturally sense, through smell and bitter taste, what they can and can't eat.
Some people tell us that intelligent parrots, such as macaws are about as clever as a 3-4 yo human . .

I am yet to see a finch that is as smart as any parrot . .

Would you allow a 3yo access to a range of foods that range from toxic to non toxic on the grounds that they naturally sense what they cannot eat?

Responsible bird-keeping, please
TimidFinch

arthur wrote: 09 Apr 2017, 21:23
TimidFinch wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 13:26 I believe that birds naturally sense, through smell and bitter taste, what they can and can't eat.
Some people tell us that intelligent parrots, such as macaws are about as clever as a 3-4 yo human . .

I am yet to see a finch that is as smart as any parrot . .

Would you allow a 3yo access to a range of foods that range from toxic to non toxic on the grounds that they naturally sense what they cannot eat?

Responsible bird-keeping, please
In case you haven't noticed, the world is full of dangers, yet it's still full of life. Why? Because of instinct. Animals instinctively know what they can eat and what they can't eat. My birds love their leafy greens but not once chewed on the oleander. I'm sure if a human child bit into an oleander leaf they would grimace with revulsion due to the bitterness and would perhaps throw up.

I specified I was speaking from my own experience, and people may disagree with my point of view. But I have an aviary full of plants and have never had a death associated with positioning.
Tiaris

Surely its best to use the commonsense approach of if in doubt go without.
In the close confines of a captive enclosure I think it would be a pointless (and stupid IMO) risk to put anything in the aviary which is likely to be toxic. There are enough things which go wrong when we are cautious and fastidious without jeopardising our birds prospects with known risks.
There also a vast range of known non-toxic aviary plant options available.
arthur

TimidFinch wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 01:47 Animals instinctively know what they can eat and what they can't eat.
'Heavy-metal Poisoning' in parrots, dogs chewing cane-toads, rats eating rat poison, are just a few items of evidence showing that this is clearly not the case

And this will be my last post on this topic :silent:
shayne

Gents,
I put this question on a specific plant to the knowledge of members as quick initial research suggested it might be poisonous. I know nothing about plants and I have had difficulty finding tropical shade plants for my aviary. The forum holds a wealth of information for those living in the southern states.
Please disregard further.
Mycoola

Have you thought of the bush cherries (lilli pillies), good natives that should provide the shade your after and i think will handle tropical conditions.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”