Mixed lot

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Skinch

G'day all, I'm just starting off and thinking I would like a mixed aviary of finches, I live in the Shoalhaven area so I would love to know what would be a good mix, if you have any ideas I would to hear from you.
elferoz777

Painteds, gouldians and maybe ruddys. These are good staers and wont fight.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

Those 3 are great as are Orangebreasts. Plenty of other options too - its really a good idea to pick a few which particularly appeal to you, research them a bit, then when you are happy with your choices, seek them out.
matcho

Agree with the comments so far but would like to know the size of the aviary/cage just to get a bit of a handle on things, as well as roof coverage, position etc, etc.

Ken.
toothlessjaws

i started with orangebreasts, ruddies and cordons. - all of which live to a ripe old age but none of which i realised how much effort was involved in breeding.

personally i'd advise starting with species that don't need live food to breed - gouldians, zebras, munias etc...
but i understand the allure of the more colourful so maybe just keep cocks of the more difficult species for the time being (which are cheap and plentiful) until the obsession really takes hold..
GouldianGuy

toothlessjaws wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 00:53 personally i'd advise starting with species that don't need live food to breed - gouldians, zebras, munias etc...
but i understand the allure of the more colourful so maybe just keep cocks of the more difficult species for the time being (which are cheap and plentiful) until the obsession really takes hold..
+1 :thumbup:
Skinch

matcho wrote: 13 Apr 2017, 19:25 Agree with the comments so far but would like to know the size of the aviary/cage just to get a bit of a handle on things, as well as roof coverage, position etc, etc.

Ken.
Ken, the aviary is 4m x 2.4m it has a fully covered roof area ( alsynite sheeting ) some clear some pearl. I have built it at the rear of my garage, we do get windy down on the south coast so I have in stalled some clear cafe blinds so they don't get blown away, only because it is full wire around the aviary, hope that gives you an idea of what I have done so far.
collector_and_buyer

Make sure your cafe blinds are secured at bottom and halfway up.They will bellow out in the middle and flap as well as flapping on the base during even moderate wind.If this happens during the night,it will scare the birds and outcome may not be good.I would suggest that a solid wall on the western and southern side if possible,would be better.
Skinch

collector_and_buyer wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 09:31 Make sure your cafe blinds are secured at bottom and halfway up.They will bellow out in the middle and flap as well as flapping on the base during even moderate wind.If this happens during the night,it will scare the birds and outcome may not be good.I would suggest that a solid wall on the western and southern side if possible,would be better.
Good advice, I get to that straight away
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emblemas, double-bars, gouldians and stars are my go-to suggestions for starters. All get along really well and none of them demand livefood (although you should still offer livefood anyway).

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”