Books & license

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Skinch

Hi all, I am after a good book that covers all Aussie finches, I also would like to know what finches I can keep without having a license, not that I would object to getting one but I'm only new at this and would prefer to start off slowly. I have been told that gouldians & zebs get on so I think that's what I will start with. Any info would be appreciated.
Tiaris

In NSW native species exempt from registration are Star, Blue-faced Parrotfinch, Painted, Gouldian & Zebra. The first 4 are far better mixers than Zebras.
Skinch

Thanks, the more I read the more I like the zebs, the little flower would like me to get some double bars as well, so I'm guessing I will need to be licensed. I think I'm going towards the gouldians to add some colour to the aviary. Where do I go to get the license? Can you apply online ?
starman

Skinch wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 09:52 Where do I go to get the license? Can you apply online ?
Skinch,

Just Google 'NSW Native Animal Keeper's Licence'....it can be done online in about 5 minutes. This licencing scheme is currently under review and may be comprehensively overhauled in the near future.

An excellent book is Russell Kingston's 'The Finch....a breeder's companion', not cheap, but it may be all you will ever need.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Skinch

starman wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 14:33
Skinch wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 09:52 Where do I go to get the license? Can you apply online ?
Skinch,

Just Google 'NSW Native Animal Keeper's Licence'....it can be done online in about 5 minutes. This licencing scheme is currently under review and may be comprehensively overhauled in the near future.

An excellent book is Russell Kingston's 'The Finch....a breeder's companion', not cheap, but it may be all you will ever need.
Thanks starman, I will look for that book & check out the license stuff.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the little flower would like me to get some double bars as well
They do appeal to us ladies. Communal, lively, small, yep definately a good candidate for any avairy. Try hanging a string bag from the roof and loosely pack with long firm grasses and it will fill with 3 or 4 nests. Enjoy.
LML
LML
davlee

A great book is "Aviculture in Australia" written by Mark Shephard. It is available 2nd hand on Ebay. In my case, it covers everything I need to know and is aimed at newbies and advanced. It is a large hard covered volume written for Australian conditions in the early 90's and remains completely relevant.

Dave
bob21358

Best book for Finches is "The finch : a breeders companion" by Russell Kingston. A little bit pricey but worth every cent.
Skinch

davlee wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 11:25 A great book is "Aviculture in Australia" written by Mark Shephard. It is available 2nd hand on Ebay. In my case, it covers everything I need to know and is aimed at newbies and advanced. It is a large hard covered volume written for Australian conditions in the early 90's and remains completely relevant.

Dave
Thanks dave I will check it out as well as the Russell Kingston book I've been told about.
Skinch

finchbreeder wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 12:12 the little flower would like me to get some double bars as well
They do appeal to us ladies. Communal, lively, small, yep definately a good candidate for any avairy. Try hanging a string bag from the roof and loosely pack with long firm grasses and it will fill with 3 or 4 nests. Enjoy.
LML
Thankyou good advice with the nesting, we were just going to buy cane baskets but that sounds good.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”