female zebra aggressive toward male - help!

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
threelittlefinchies

Hi all! I'm new here, and a new finch mum :wave:

I've only ever had one bird at a time (budgie), so being surprised with three zebra finches from a friend after my last budgie passed away left me a bit puzzled lol, so I just wanted to ask something. First off, my friend wanted to get me four, but the guy at PetBarn said to "just try three and see how that goes" :eh: unfortunately, my friend didn't know any better and trusted the shop employee.

The three of them (two female and one male - Maia, Persephone, and Declan) were fine for a few weeks, but then this past week, one of the females, Maia (who is bigger than the other two and all white) started chasing Declan around and chasing him off the perch and food cup. It has gotten more aggressive to the point where she is chasing him most of the day and sometimes holding onto him by feathers before he escapes. I noticed today while he was preening that he has a bald patch under the top layer of feathers.

Because I'm a new finch mum and I've been worrying about them, I just wanted to check if I should move Maia into another cage and get another finch pal for her? And if so, do you think a male or female would be best to get?? Any advice is much appreciated! :)

(also, sorry if I posted in the wrong place!)
Craig52

First of all,Welcome to the Forum. Just to let you know, white zebra's can also be males with no male markings on them. If its bill is very dark wax red then it is most likely male so he would be fighting the marked male for the female. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a couple of nests in the cage that could be encouraging them to want to breed? Could they be fighting over teritory, how big is the cage? People make the mistake of thinking 3 finches being the size of 1 budgie only need the same amount of space, but finches are much more active than budgies generally. So would be better with double the space. Always good to ask.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”