Catching canaries

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
nicko

I've got a 3x4m aviary & I'm trying to catch 4 canaries.
I've made a repeating catch cage (elevator style) but they will not venture onto the elevator, so to entice them what food can't canaries resist, tried greens, apple, seed, corn.
fraudster

sprouted sunflower seeds!!!
Craig52

Crushed sunflower or niger seed or green panic veldt grass seed heads. Craig
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 14:35 I've got a 3x4m aviary & I'm trying to catch 4 canaries.
I've made a repeating catch cage (elevator style) but they will not venture onto the elevator, so to entice them what food can't canaries resist, tried greens, apple, seed, corn.
Personally I'd not mess about with those elevator trap cages, we've all tried em here in England and are blimmin useless, if a bird was ill it would be dead before it was caught in one of the cages :roll:

You've got 4 canaries in a 3 X 4 mtr avairy and to be honest mate it should be a doddle in catching them with a net, I could easily do it on me own but am used to it,

The easy way in fairness for yer is to have two people in the flight at eaither and with a net each, canaries aren't the worlds fastest of birds and shouldn't really be a problem :thumbup:

What some of us do is if we decide to have very big flights with birds in we deliberately have a small 2 mtr x 1 mtr flight built within the inside of the big flight in the far corner and with the flight door left open of the small flight, birds get used to going in and out of it on a daily basis and when one wants to catch birds up its just a simple case of flushing the bird into the small flight and with a pull cord along the inside of the big flight just one hard tug and the door of the small flight is now shut with the particular bird you want inside,
Now just go into the small flight and catch up the bird, it's not exactly rocket science but a very simple and effective tactic :thumbup:

Be lucky
nicko

Stuart that's normally what I would do but as yet haven't finished the flight, plus the aviary is heavily planted, so with brush & perches etc swinging a net amongst that is a pita, that's why I built a trap.
I've caught 2 but the other 4 don't want to play ball, I have had finches for nearly 11 yrs or so, so I'm also handy with a net, in the old stark aviary it would't be a problem.
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 21:38 Stuart that's normally what I would do but as yet haven't finished the flight, plus the aviary is heavily planted, so with brush & perches etc swinging a net amongst that is a pita, that's why I built a trap.
I've caught 2 but the other 4 don't want to play ball, I have had finches for nearly 11 yrs or so, so I'm also handy with a net, in the old stark aviary it would't be a problem.
Understand what what yer saying nicko, makes sense in that respect to try and Percivea with the cage, hope all goes well :thumbup:

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”