How do I let my finches out of their aviary if they are not tamed?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The definition of avairy and cage has been disputed forever. I have always considered an avairy something I can comfortably stand in and turn arround in without bumping any walls e.g. min 0.75m x 1.2m x 1.75m HOWEVER that is just my opinion, and EVERYBODY is entitled to their own interpretation. Now to the important stuff. In an avairy/cage such as you have, you need to promote exercise. To do this place perches at diffeernt heights. e.g. a third of the way up the wall and 2/3s of the way up the wall. Perches from front to back, not length wise. Gouldians are not very energetic birds, but neither are they sloths. Good luck.
LML
LML
Pulse

finchbreeder wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 10:55 The definition of avairy and cage has been disputed forever. I have always considered an avairy something I can comfortably stand in and turn arround in without bumping any walls e.g. min 0.75m x 1.2m x 1.75m HOWEVER that is just my opinion, and EVERYBODY is entitled to their own interpretation. Now to the important stuff. In an avairy/cage such as you have, you need to promote exercise. To do this place perches at diffeernt heights. e.g. a third of the way up the wall and 2/3s of the way up the wall. Perches from front to back, not length wise. Gouldians are not very energetic birds, but neither are they sloths. Good luck.
LML
I followed your steps and did so. But the overall space doesn't satisfy me. I cannot find a way to provide them a room-sized space for flight. At the moment, that is my priority rather than improving their conditions inside the cage/aviary.
shnapper20

I sold some gouldians to a couple who let the birds fly around their house, they had a budgie cage on top of the fridge and left the door open. the birds went in there to roost at night and to eat and drink. They told me they had been doing this for quite a number of years, I dont know how many birds what size room etc. but maybe you could improvise to suit your needs.
Pulse

shnapper20 wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 09:17 I sold some gouldians to a couple who let the birds fly around their house, they had a budgie cage on top of the fridge and left the door open. the birds went in there to roost at night and to eat and drink. They told me they had been doing this for quite a number of years, I dont know how many birds what size room etc. but maybe you could improvise to suit your needs.
The problem is, my room, although decent in size, has some hazards. The roof is uneven meaning some parts are closer to the ground than others. I recall letting them out once and they panicked so much that they hit this extended wall quite a bit. Also, they simply find a perch and stay there forever. The only way I can make them move is by, well.....making them move. They are far too scared of being outside of their cage/aviary.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you feed them greens? Put the greens at the edges of each perch so they have to fly to the treats. If that is all the flying they do then maybe that is enough for them. After all we don;t run arround all the time either.
LML
LML
Pulse

finchbreeder wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 11:19 Do you feed them greens? Put the greens at the edges of each perch so they have to fly to the treats. If that is all the flying they do then maybe that is enough for them. After all we don;t run arround all the time either.
LML
You have a pretty good point. But I feel like they lack an engaging activity. I think a larger space will provide that but regardless, I am going to try your idea. It just bothers me that they spend most of their day just sitting on the perch and looking rather bored.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”