How do I let my finches out of their aviary if they are not tamed?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Pulse

I have 12 Gouldian Finches in a reasonably sized Aviary that provides decent space for flight but I feel like they would appreciate a bigger space. But the issue is, they are not tamed/trained to not panic when released outside. They tend to look like they collide with the room's walls quite badly which makes me fear the possibilities of injuries. The rest fly for a few seconds and perch on higher areas and just remain there for eternity unless I make them move. Is there really some way to make them hand tamed? If not, then what do you guys suggest I do to give them a larger area for their exercise since I believe they are getting a little bored inside the aviary and ,(I hope not), getting stressed.

Appreciate any suggestions and finally, Thanks :D
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What size aviary are they in now?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

Not sure if I have interpreted the question correctly . .

Would placing quite a few removable perches in the larger aviary and taking them out one by one till they are confident be OK

I have never found Gouldians to be particularly flighty however . . quite the opposite in fact . . and they usually adjust to new circumstances
Pulse

5 Feet in height, 3'9 feet in length and 1'9 feet in breadth/width. They are able to fly around but due to their numbers, that is appearing to be difficult.
Pulse

arthur wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 20:04 Not sure if I have interpreted the question correctly . .

Would placing quite a few removable perches in the larger aviary and taking them out one by one till they are confident be OK

I have never found Gouldians to be particularly flighty however . . quite the opposite in fact . . and they usually adjust to new circumstances
I tried that once, actually. Didn't go so well and was very difficult since there are many. They also are quite bonded with each other and if they get separated for a while, they chirp loudly almost constantly. My aim is to reduce their stress and make them happier by giving them more space. But I cannot invest in a larger aviary but I cannot release them as well. Basically, I have hit a dead-end and could use some advice and tips.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pulse wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 20:06 5 Feet in height, 3'9 feet in length and 1'9 feet in breadth/width. They are able to fly around but due to their numbers, that is appearing to be difficult.
So a cage not an aviary. .far too many in that size cage...need to offload some...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

arthur wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 20:04 taking them out one by one
I actually meant taking the perches out one by one, after putting all the birds into the larger space

VP is right about reducing numbers
Pulse

Pretty sure it is an aviary, not exactly the size of a gigantic outdoors one but an indoors one. I even based it on a friend's design he bought online just to save some money. It was classified as an aviary in the website. Here is an image just in case my measurements are wrong: http://imgur.com/1o7Go2K It is a replica.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By definition an aviary is something that you can stand up in...and watch out for gifts from above :D ..regardless it is far too small for that many birds :thumbup:
Pulse

vettepilot_6 wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 22:01 By definition an aviary is something that you can stand up in...and watch out for gifts from above :D ..regardless it is far too small for that many birds :thumbup:
Interesting, I am quite short so I can fit inside quite easily. But the finches seem to fly around quite a bit. Anyways, can I get a solution that won't cost too much or is effective. Looking at them right now, they don't seem to look crammed at all by the way.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”