Anyone make a living selling finches?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Masterfincher

Hi all, just curious if anyone does/has heard of anyone in this day and age making a living from breeding and selling finches? I just have finches for fun, if I added up all the feed, bird purchases and aviary materials over the years compared to sale of young, im sure i wouldnt even break even (and feel it is worth it anyway), but interested to know if it is possible to make a living from it. Thanks
arthur

Don't think that anyone is going to put his hand up . . for obvious reasons

But, the more success you have as a breeder; the more your market diminishes

IF anybody can make money from their birds; good on them . . and the brigade who claim that 'so & so' is only in it for the money are forgetting that you have to be a skilled and successful breeder to make money, and supply a demand that enables others to enjoy our hobby

And completely 'off topic' . .

How are the 'blue' stars going?
Masterfincher

Well said Arthur. My 'blue'/ pied star is still going, had a few young but just normals, been quiet the last few months- my aviary is a bit overcrowded, so i expect thats the problem. Hoping to make a couple more temporary aviaries soon while planning a major overhaul next year.
arthur

Those 'normals' of course are split for blue . .

Hold onto them!!
escapin

What does a blue Star look like? Would love to see that.
Stars are up their with my favourites. I have fawns, cinnamon and regular ones but with the red on their chest. Blue ones would be a dream
Masterfincher

Hi escapin,
search for my post from a while back - "is this a pied star" to see what a blue star is - I didn't know either!
D0NKEY

For me a hobby is a hobby. Never made money from breeding birds, not to cover my expenses anyways. If bird sale can cover some then all good.
casehulsebosch

To make money from our bird hobby or even break even we simply live in the wrong part of the world to start with.

The "money" is not in finches but in hookbeaks.
Europeans have markets like the Middle East and South Africa where they are crying out for any new mutations and are willing to put up the money.

One of my birding friends in Holland has a new mutation hookbeak. The sale price covers not only the bird food for the year but also a few dinners for the hobbyist.

Still rather live in this part of the world though :-)

cheers, case
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winning Lotto is probably almost as likely to make you a living. Unless you wish to go really OTT, start with at least several acres. Breed birds that are reasonable free breeders, but not too common. Be prepared to completely change your stock every couple of years as availablility and fashions change. Sounds like a lot of work with no guarantee of success, and the likelyhood of taking most of the enjoyment and freedom to indulge in the challenges out of the whole thing.
LML
LML
arthur

casehulsebosch wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 20:42 The "money" is not in finches but in hookbeaks.
No doubt correct . .

Some years ago when there was a 'Dutch Auction' . . no offence Case . . for a particular parrot mutation a good mate of mine offered $40K and didn't even get a reply . .

But by the same token, some finch breeders are quietly sitting back 'smokin' the cherrywood' with contented smiles on their faces . . mainly as a supplement to a regular income

And half their luck :thumbup:
Last edited by arthur on 05 Jul 2017, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”