Sourcing Light Globes for Fly / Cricket Boxes

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Ian Hamilton

Hi everyone,

I'm sure many of you have come across this and I know some one will have answer. In this day of energy saving bulbs, it's hard, impossible (?) to find a globe that gives off any heat ( reptile globes aside). They're all super low wattage, LED etc & they don't give off warmth ! Not good in the middle of winter. Fortunately the little critters go into a dormant state, but certainly not reproductive !.

How, or who/where from, are you sourcing heat emitting globes for replacement in your fly or cricket boxes ?

All suggestions are gratefully welcomed.

Thanks,
Ian.
captain

I get mine from Bunnings electrical isle
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Halogen globes. ..with ceramic base...give off ample heat..with a thermostat :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
starman

Hi Ian, what wattage(s) are you after?
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
wagga

I use the coloured light globes - 25w - Party lights pack of 10
Last edited by wagga on 09 Jul 2017, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Craig52

I have gone onto halogen globes, i think they are the 55 watt ones. Supermarkets sell quite cheap and they last a lot longer than the now banned filament/ incandescent type globes. They have plenty of heat for my fly cage for Winter but will drop down the wattage for warmer weather. I do hang a seed bag on the front with partial ventilation though for Winter. Craig
MuzzaD

I fitted a thermostat and use 70 watt day lite or infrared globes ( reptile). Working well. Do have a cloth cover in front which I can raise or lower when I want. Even though the globes are dearer they do last a long time. When equating the cost with the results in the aviary it works out very reasonable. In summer they are hardly on and in winter still have quite a lot of off time. The thermostat is the key I believe.
Ian Hamilton

Thanks everyone. I wont say that I'm that literate reviewing light bulbs. I've tried the ceramic types & they dont seem to give any heat ( & I know the LEDs dont ) & yes Ive strolled the isles at Bunnings & even seeking assistance.

I use an infrared heat lamp in the aviary this time of year & concur with Muzza, I think I might need to change my mounting ( bayonet to screw type ) and add a thermostat.

Thank you again everyone for your contributions.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”