Gouldian Finch standing and moving around with one leg only

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Pulse

Hello everyone! I just came back from work today and noticed one of my female Gouldian limping about on one leg. She is capable of flying around and sticks to the perches thankfully but she rarely stands with both her legs and tucks the left leg even when moving about.

I cannot grab her to get a good look since she is not tamed and the whole thing will be quite stressful for her, especially considering the fact that she is already stressed due to this issue. Chances of an injury aren't unlikely since there are a lot of other finches in the cage (mainly her children) which are very active and fight about often but what seems to be in a playful manner.

Currently, she is standing on both legs thankfully but ever so often she goes back to limping. I am not sure if this information will be helpful but I feel like it might have something to do with the fact that she has been flapping her wings will standing on a perch and leaning forward quite a bit as well. At times, she does this with her beak open. It's quite odd that she is showing odd behavior when the rest appear to be fine and the diet provided is adequate. Any advice on my next course of action would be appreciated and I really hope it is just her leg that has fallen asleep or something but I would like to confirm that with some professional help.

Thanks!
starman

In very hot climates, the parts of metal cages exposed to strong sunlight can become extremely hot (more probable if the cage is painted black or another dark colour). Is it possible that she might have burned her toes gripping hot cage parts?
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

Hi Pulse, it might be stressing but if you are that worried about it catch it up and have a look at the foot/leg. It might be a nail infection or even a mosquito bite.
Most finches do stand on one leg when they are resting or sleeping, it's a sign of a healthy bird in most cases.
The flapping is common with over stimulated birds and is also a healthy thing in my opinion. Craig
starman

Another thought :
Examine her leg to make sure there are no fine threads wrapped around it to inhibit circulation to the toes (the tourniquet effect).
This can cause slight swelling below the stricture, making it easier to spot.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 09:35 Hi Pulse, it might be stressing but if you are that worried about it catch it up and have a look at the foot/leg. It might be a nail infection or even a mosquito bite.
Most finches do stand on one leg when they are resting or sleeping, it's a sign of a healthy bird in most cases.
The flapping is common with over stimulated birds and is also a healthy thing in my opinion. Craig
Totally agree Craig, well said :thumbup:
mary jane

I would welcome any advice or observations anyone can give:) MY Little male has, I fear, lost the gripping ability of his left foot. I have not been able to catch him and give antibiotics per vet instructions.
Leg looks ok but today I see a small "pimple" on his bad leg. Should I let him be (he and girlfriend are my only birds and are in separate cages now, by each other)
and hope for the best or struggle to force the antibiotics in him?
He cut his foot by a piece of thread using to make the nest. His foot will clearly never be functional:(
Please let me know if you have any advice!!! Mary Jane

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”