Breeze and heat

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
davlee

Does a breeze on a hot day help to keep finches cooler? Humans use sweat to keep cooler in a wind, but can finches benefit from removal of see through Perspex on the sides of my aviary when it is hot?

Dave
E Orix

I am surprised you would need any type clear sheet protection in your area over summer.
Clear sheeting is fine during winter but can be disastrous during our summer high temps.
Once the outside temp or aviary temp reaches 28c your birds will be looking for some relief
in fact any mild air movement will help with their comfort.
Wings half opened, open beak etc. are reliable signs and when extremely hot they will go to ground
seeking some cooler spot. Regardless of what some will say when the temp. is very high, wet the aviary floor
for some relief, it will dry quick enough.
STUART WHITING

E Orix wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 12:05 I am surprised you would need any type clear sheet protection in your area over summer.
Clear sheeting is fine during winter but can be disastrous during our summer high temps.
Once the outside temp or aviary temp reaches 28c your birds will be looking for some relief
in fact any mild air movement will help with their comfort.
Wings half opened, open beak etc. are reliable signs and when extremely hot they will go to ground
seeking some cooler spot. Regardless of what some will say when the temp. is very high, wet the aviary floor
for some relief, it will dry quick enough.
I'm inclined to agree David, well said :thumbup:
nicko

I have a misting system setup in both my aviarys to come on every day, every 1/2 hr between 10 & 3 during the summer months & the birds love it, it's more for cooling rather than wetting the birds, although they can get "wet" if they sit still long enough
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 23:26 I have a misting system setup in both my aviarys to come on every day, every 1/2 hr between 10 & 3 during the summer months & the birds love it, it's more for cooling rather than wetting the birds, although they can get "wet" if they sit still long enough
That sounds brilliant mate, I bet the birds must think there breeding in the middle of the wet season :D

I'd get the impression that that kind of set up would actually be very good and realistic for breeding weavers aswell as many Estrildids :thumbup:

Be lucky
TimidFinch

Yes, I would remove the plastic now or at least open it to airflow.

We had a couple of 30c days not that long ago, and when I noticed the open wings and mouths, down came the plastic.

Finches are from the desert, but an enclosed aviary - even in Melbourne - will cook a bird if the sun is shining (in summer).

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”