Does seed expire?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
MuzzaD

All my seed for finches, parrots, laying hens and bran for gentles etc is kept in separate "olive barrels" which are available when used. Do not seem to have a problem with the usual pests and as these barrels are quite thick they are mouse and rat proof. Some outlay to start with but well worth it in the long term. I have never worried about buying seed weekly but buy in reasonably bulk supply as the dealers are giving you the seed from that years crop so it will age just as much in the shop as in your bin. I then keep a weeks seed supply for my finches in washed mIlk bottles in the aviaries.
starman

In a published article on seed for finches, a well-known breeder/writer and contributor to this forum, mentioned that he had found some misplaced bags of seed after about 15 years and was most surprised by the percentage of seed that was still viable. I can't recall the seed type.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
E Orix

Virtually from harvest seed starts to deteriorate and by 12 months(from harvest) it will start to reduce in quality.
It will still sprout and be quite OK for your birds. The older it gets !! Also how it is stored can also have a dramatic effect.
When you buy quantity you should get a cup full out and set it up to sprout, the percentage of sprouts will tell you how good it is.
I generally order in a ton from a grower/seed merchant, when it arrives it is taken out of the bag for inspection and storage.
All my seed is stored in old domestic chest freezers, easy and cheap to get, totally vermin proof and most likely a stable temp.
When it is un bagged it should be clean and the seed should have a shine on it. If you buy a bag of seed mix have a good look at the
actual mix. The less expensive blends tend to have more filler seeds rather than the better preferred seeds.
If you are not too sure buy, an extra bag of Canary Seed or Red Millet.
Should you have old seed, winnow it to help clean it, sprout some if it is over 50% use it as soaked seed, if not feed it to the Sparrows
as they are tougher than our aviary species.
vicnorthone

an elderly bird fellah from south aussie recently said to me........ does price determine quality? or quality determine price?
food for thought......emphasis should be on CONSUMEABLE/usable seeds not price
branchez

I watched a program some time back about the pyrimids in Egypt,the grain that was found in the tombs was trial planted and found that the seed grew.
So time does not seem to be an issue.Also there is a global seed bank on a Norwegian island which contains millions of seeds from throughtout the world,these are there for safe keeping in case of a global catastrophe.These seeds are stored at well below freezing (-18c)So this means that the seeds will still grow.
Jack
Craig52

Yes i saw that too, i think it was an ancient wheat or buck wheat but it grew. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I is also possible that the design of the pyramids keep the inside at a fairly constant temerature.
LML
LML
E Orix

I have no idea how long you can keep seed for and it will grow but it's quality as a food decreases with age

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”