Does seed expire?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
TimidFinch

I'm thinking of buying a large bulk purchase of seed but I don't want it expiring before I've used it all up, keeping in mind U don't know how old the seeds are before the purchase date.
Craig52

TimidFinch wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 15:52 I'm thinking of buying a large bulk purchase of seed but I don't want it expiring before I've used it all up, keeping in mind U don't know how old the seeds are before the purchase date.
That's fine but how much are you going to buy and how many birds have you got to feed. How long do you expect the seed to be stored to run out.
Seed will last for years in a sealed container but the goodness will deteriorate every year stored. Imo, you are better off buying on a just in time method in smaller lots as you will know that it is fresh or buy when you know that the seed is fresh from someone who grows it at a specific time every year. Buy enough to last your birds for a little more than a year then replace with fresh seed. Craig
KENTUCKY

As a rule of thumb, if a locally grown seed no longer germinates, you can be certain
that the food value is on its way out.
CathyCraftz

Seed does expire but if weevils and other annoying pests have got to it first then you have to throw it away if the whole thing is absolutely crawling with them.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Greg41

CathyCraftz wrote: 28 May 2018, 20:06 Seed does expire but if weevils and other annoying pests have got to it first then you have to throw it away if the whole thing is absolutely crawling with them.
Use it as a source of live food for your birds.
GDG
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Greg. Small african finches in particular love to feed on the seed weevils when they have young. But put good seed and weevil seed in seperate containers at opposite ends of the avairy.
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

Greg my Finches are so picky it is highly unlikely that they will try something new.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Strop

I know everyone has not got enough freezer space but I freeze all my seed in a large chest freezer which keeps it fresh and weevil free.

Cheers Strop.
Tiaris

Just interested to know if the seed will sprout after freezing?
starman

Tiaris wrote: 29 May 2018, 20:51 Just interested to know if the seed will sprout after freezing?
Apparently, it will but with a decreased viability %.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”