Breeding gouldians in cabinet

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Tom smith

Just wondering when is the best time to put a pair of gouldians in a breeding cabinet . They are not a breeding pair as yet as I am going to pick them myself and give it a shot . Is it better to put them in now and let them get use to each other before it is time or just put them together in say January February ?
Mr Tino

Hi Tom usually after they have molt out and that about December and January,normally in Melbourne,I section my best looking male I have and also it depend what head colour I want to breed and then I pick my best looking hen and put one different colour ring on each hen and watch them pick the male,when I see the hen respond move toward the male it depend how long it take sometime it take about two week or four week the max and I remove one of the hen that has not pair up and then I leave other hen and male them together and they start to do nest inspection,going back to head colour if I want to breed black head to black head and it depend what you want in Colour , hope this will help you,feel free to ask any thing you want to know. :thumbup:
D0NKEY

Thats a very specific method Mr Tino ... impressive, thank you for sharing. Can you let us know what the dimensions are of your cabinets? And do you place the nest inside or hang it outside? Again thank you.
Mr Tino

My cabinet are 600mm w x 600mm h x400mm deep and my nest are one in the cage and the slide on thee outside of the cage for inspection and when I finish the breeding season I release the young in the holding avairy ring on them and when parent are finished breed I release them in the holding avairy too,hope this will help you. :thumbup:
Last edited by Mr Tino on 07 Dec 2017, 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
D0NKEY

Cheers Mr Tino
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very interesting and informative. But I think you have a typo there Mr. T - 60mm w should be 600mm w :silent:
LML
LML
Mr Tino

Hi finchbreeder when you write sometime on response on the forum you don’t make mistake when press wrong key or you like to have dig at people not every person is prefect when write on the forum.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mr T I asure you I appreciate the problem and was not intending any offence, just advising. With my terrible typing and spelling I am the last person to insult someone who is giving helpful advice such as you have given. This is why I began with the compliment to your helpfulness.
LML
LML
Tom smith

Mr Tino wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 03:51 Hi Tom usually after they have molt out and that about December and January,normally in Melbourne,I section my best looking male I have and also it depend what head colour I want to breed and then I pick my best looking hen and put one different colour ring on each hen and watch them pick the male,when I see the hen respond move toward the male it depend how long it take sometime it take about two week or four week the max and I remove one of the hen that has not pair up and then I leave other hen and male them together and they start to do nest inspection,going back to head colour if I want to breed black head to black head and it depend what you want in Colour , hope this will help you,feel free to ask any thing you want to know. :thumbup:
[/quote

Thanks for your help mate appreciate it would you breed a orange head female with a red headed Aussie yellow would I get some orange head Aussie yellows or do u think they will be green backs and Aussie yellows with red heads
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That will depend on if the cock is split for orange head or pure red head. The young of course will be red split orange if he is pure.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”