Keeping finches together

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
cate

Hello, i needed some advice about keeping java finches and zebra finches together in a cage. I have 4 male zebras and they are all nice to each other but my java who i brought in a pair but unfortunately one passed away now the java sits on the side of his cage closest to the zebras and will often do the same thing they do, when they bath he will and when they eat he does as well. He is also quite a nice bird and all my birds are quite calm but i have read that javas and zebras can be bullies and so i was wondering whether it would be okay to put my java in with my zebras, my zebras and java have been neighbours for several years now. the size of the cage is 78cm wide x 45.5cm deep x 91cm high, with 3 feeders and 2 water bowls, a swing and 2 perches. any advice about this would be appreciated
starman

Hi Cate....Welcome to the forum.

Neither of your species is noted for shyness, but sometimes species compatibility can be secondary to personality compatibility.
I would trial the Java in with the Zebs in the morning of a day when you have the time to observe them for a while.
If any problems arise 'pull' the Java before any harm can be done. This does not mean that any discordance will show immediately but it should give you an idea of the need for further caution. Compatibility is more of an issue in small enclosures.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Basically what Starman said. I have both species. There is a wide range of personalities in them, have them sharing an avairy. But do watch because any sign of crowding can cause agro, or a change of birds can muck up the dynamics. :thumbup: Oh and don't panic if there is a little scuffling when they first join each other. Only if it continues after the 1st hour or is nasty. A little gentle pushing is not unusual as first.

LML
LML
cate

Thank you both for your replies :) the java was moved into the cage this morning and he bothered the zebras for a little bit other than that they seem to getting along great.
CathyCraftz

If your remaining java is fine with the zebra finches then I doubt there will be much trouble with the new ones.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”