Flooring and worm concerns

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Finchnut

What is the best floor in your avairys I have river sand now but my concern is worm problems would timber mulch laid about 100mm thick be a better floor for finches.
Worming how offen is best, I lost a bird today it had a hard lump just up from the vent about the size of a small pea any clues on what may be guys. Just a little concern as I want to add to my collection, Thanks.
Craig52

I believe what you have now is the best, so long as it drains well and is dry you shouldn't have problems with coccidia or fungal diseases.
Worms or worm eggs are carried by insects that enter your aviary of which are eaten by the birds so they become infected with worms so not really anything to do with aviary floors.
A good worming program for finches is every 6 months,just before the breeding season or late Winter and again in 6 months time.
The lump on your finch could be anything, a cyst, cancer or under lying gut problem but nothing to do with worms imo. Craig
Finchnut

Thanks Craig great info yes I found the river sand good easy to rake over and keep all clean and drains well.
Just having a bad run I guess. Thanks again.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”