soaked seed

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
grumpz

I add a multi vitamin powder to my soaked seed prior to freezing,was asked weather the freezing would affect the vitamin powder in any way.any thoughts thanks mick
Tiaris

Apart from making it cold I don't think it would alter its composition in any way.
Mr Tino

Hi grumpz when I freeze my soak or sprout seed,some time I put the viatamins in it and put it back in the fridge,because some people start work early in the morning and they have not enough time to do the adding the vitamin and then I feed it in portion to my birds with out any problem and it up to individual person how they do it if they want to put the vitamin in first or later when feed too the birds,i hope this will help how you want to do it. :thumbup:
Last edited by Mr Tino on 14 Apr 2018, 21:00, edited 3 times in total.
Maurizio

Adding a vitamin powder to the soaked seed prior to freezing won't affect it.
As Tiaris mentioned, it will make cold, but shouldn't change it's composition.
Make sure you don't freeze the seed while it's too wet, or you'll created a
large ice cube. If your worried about it, just simply add it to the seed prior
to feeding out to the birds in the morning.
Rod_L

heat destroys vitamins, not cold.

however, moisture also destroys them so you are better off keeping the vitamin supplement dry and adding it to the seed when you feed it to the birds. Wet vitamins will break down, and they will get moist in the freezer.
death to all cats & ants
gomer

I would have thought the vitamins would get some what(partially) absorbed into the seed getting frozen ? depending on what form of vitamin. Not that I do it that way at the moment myself.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

I really don't agree freezing the vitamins with your soaked/sprouted seed. Vitamins,minerals and amino acids should not be fed daily but at least once a week.
You are only over loading your birds and any excess is just pooped out, you will notice yellow droppings if you feed daily in frozen seed as the body can only absorb so much which for a tiny finch is not very much.
I use powdered form of Soluminavit in an old baby powder bottle that has the turn top to open and close it. Once a week i dust that days soaked/sprouted seed and feed to the birds.

Craig
mr skeeter

gday grumps i try rotate my additives / vitamins , in my sprouted seed apple cider vinegar with good oil once a week also naturally for finch supplement twice a week but not in with my frozen sprouted seed, its added in the morning before being fead out to all my finches, cheers mick.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”