Shed me some light on light

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
gumlu goulds

Hello from wet north qld

I am setting up some lighting for my avairy because i belive its too dark where it is also i can see the birds through the mesh easier when lights on.

So i have 2 choices. Cpl compact flouro or 4ft tube fluros. Also have 1 cpl i found in shed think its a.reptile light

Also read an article saying should only give 1 to 2 hrs a day for small birds finches etc is this correct

http://www.parrotislandinc.com/articles/alight.htm

Thoughts and input appreciated

GG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starman

GG, faced with those choices, I would buy a full spectrum tube for the 4ft fluorescent fitting.... it would be better for the birds health and also better for viewing.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

I tend to agree sm, but only if your birds are starved for direct sunlight on a permanent basis. Feeding synthetic Vitamin D3 will help during dark and gloomy days but there is nothing like the real thing imo You have the wet season where you are now but it wont last for ever. Craig
gumlu goulds

The position of aviary is a real bugger. To the east is a shed and west the patio. Also its surounded by shade mesh then bird mesh. I admit when building avairy here i overlooked the lighting needs (amature ) I would really like them to get natural sunlight but atm there is too much stuff in yard to build outside. There is no direct light at all on aviary As my large family here myself imcluded are all compulsive horders of cars boats and other stuff some would say cr@$.but.... so for next 12mths untill i clear out some cr@& this is home for little fellows.
Want to grow veggies too. same prob no light. Just want to give the best for them with what ive got.

So plan is 4ft fitting and full spec light witch cant find at bunnings so going to hit fish shops up. And uva light for reptiles i have already.
Question how long should i run light for.
Got a timer was thinking its starts about 10am off about 4pm
Is there merit in the claim that should only be 2hrs of light per day?

GG
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Natural light is best, so do your best to find a way to arrange that in the future. In the mean time. I have never heard of a two hour day so sounds like rubbish to me. They need enough light for long enough to see to eat at least each morning and night, so your 10/4 sounds sensible to me. May be wrong, but, because mine are in natural light.
LML
LML
starman

I have not had any first hand experience in using this type of artificial lighting but I understand that in sunlight depleted locations (indoor bird rooms and in the high latitudes in northern hemisphere winters) most bird keepers run them for around 10 hours a day...... but as Craig points out there is no substitute for direct sunlight, and D3 supplements are also an option. If you can't provide natural sunlight, broad spectrum artificial lighting should be beneficial.
Sm.
gumlu goulds

Yes in future after learning alot will be putting more thought into flight build. Am kicking myself about no light.

Thanks all for input picking up lights tomorrow

GG
starman

Another point on sunlight and aviaries .... at this time of year when the arc of the sun is directly overhead, my north-facing enclosures get less direct sunlight than in winter when the sun's arc moves to the north. This works out well as it tends to keep the internal temperatures down a little in summer but warms the birds on winter mornings.... if your situation is similar, this may also help.
Sm.
gumlu goulds

Very good point. But sadly there is no direct sunlight into avairy. Its hot here all the time lowest temp ive ever seen here is 12 mid winter 1 year 2015. But never seems to top 40 well rarely and always nice breeze by 10am. If no breeze i know rain is coming. Havent had more than 680mm rain per annun in 10 years
Trulely blessed weather here for me and finches. Sometimes long for cold. But sure would hate it after 1 or 2 ...... hours
GG
BrettB

I think people are talking at cross purposes.
I suspect you have read that two hours of lighting is necessary to get adequate Vit D.
Even in heavy shade I suspect they have sufficient light to find food, etc
There is some research on chickens, suggesting that they only need about 1 hour direct sunlight a day to get adequate Vit D.
It is the UV spectrum that is required, so not all globes are suitable. You would have to look at the spectrum of the globe to see if they had enough UV light. Whether you use fluoros, compact fluoros or LEDs is irrelevant, only the spectrum of the globe is important.
Personally I would forget the lighting and supplement them with Vit D until you can provide a more suitable position for the aviary.
Some direct light is necessary, but not a lot, and the birds will tend to seek it out as required.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”