Photographing finches

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Rod_L

Get yourself a digital SLR camera with separate lens, and use manual mode with a flash. Have the camera lens against the wire or just a mm or so away from the wire. Set aperture to about F10, no higher. Set shutter speed to 1/250 and manually focus on the bird. Then click away. If the birds are in flight and you want really sharp images, use a faster shutter speed of 1/500.

The flash used during the day will act as a fill in flash and provide a white light against the bird. It will also put more light on the subject and allow for a clearer image. Cameras need light and low light will cause blurry images. Slow shutter speed will also cause blurry images.

Having the aperture around F10 will give you enough focus area but not too much. If you have a higher aperture (F stop/ F number) eg: F20, the camera will have more area on either side of the subject, that will be in focus. This means there is more chance of the camera focusing on the wire as well as the bird.

Slow shutter speed and low light are the main cause of poor images. A shutter speed around 1/100 - 1/250 is typically used for flash photography. For birds and animals, including children that don't sit still, a shutter speed of 1/250 is better. The faster the shutter speed (eg: 1/1000) the less light that will get into the camera. So high shutter speeds like 1/1000 should only be used when there is lots of bright light.
For birds that are just hopping about on a perch or feeding, use 1/250. If you want to catch a bird flying then use 1/500 or higher.

If you are photographing white, yellow or black birds, your camera will hate you :) Digital cameras hate subjects that are bright white or yellow, or dark colours like black. If they are against a contrasting colour it isn't as bad but you might find pictures of white finches don't appear that good compared to a normal coloured bird of the same type.
Having lots of light on the subject (camera flash, out in full sunlight, etc) can help, with darker subjects. And having shade and using a camera flash can help with lighter subjects.
death to all cats & ants
gomer

I have a SLR If you have the lens up against the wire or close alot of the time you will not see the wire in the photo. Or if I want to get good photos I somtimes just open the aviary door in the safety flight or just go in the aviary.As Rod said you can also use manual focus.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
davlee

I thought I would advise of a good result. A mate tried his camera (which is not a SLR). The results were amazing. The camera is - Panasonic FZ1000. He used one of the fast shutter speed modes without any further adjustment. Guess what I will now be buying?

Thanks for all the excellent replies,

Dave

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”