Tea Tree specie.

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
collector_and_buyer

I am thinking of growing a row of tea tree for further use and would like to know if any one specie of tea tree is better than the others.I rebushed my aviary with tea tree early this season and the leaves have not lasted.A bit of chewing by the birds etc,but they seem to have also fallen off prematurely.Any suggestions appreciated.
starman

Check out Melaleuca Irbyana at an Australian native nursery ... it is fairly fine and reasonably fast growing.
I think that the leaves will not last too long on any of the varieties, but smaller birds seem to favour the finer brushes.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
gomer

I just use the local prickly tea tree in the area. It lasts atleast a year or two in the aviary before it needs to be replaced.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Rod_L

If the plants are shedding their leaves they are usually dehydrating. How often are you watering them?
death to all cats & ants
Tiaris

I have a home-grown patch of Melaleuca Styphyloides for finch nesting brush - ideal species.
collector_and_buyer

Thankyou for your replies,they are appreciated.Rod L,it is the brush that i have cut and put onto the wall that has lost its leaves,not a live tree.I live on acreage and am looking to plant a small grove of trees for use down the track.
arthur

Rod_L

gotcha, cuttings drying out not the actual plants :)

Besides tea trees, have you thought about Geraldton wax and Acacias (wattles)? Geraldton wax grow reasonably quickly and are dense bushes. And acacias are very quick growing and if you tip prune them from a young age, become dense bushes too. You could grow these in addition to other plants and use the acacias first while the other plants grow.

You can use normal plant fertiliser on Acacias and most other natives to speed up growth. Don't use standard fertilises on Proteas, Banksias or Waratahs but virtually every other Australian plant will be fine with normal fertiliser as long as they are not drought stress when it's applied. I use half strength Thrive (liquid plant fertiliser) each week during spring and autumn and Acacias and other natives grow a lot faster.
death to all cats & ants
Tiaris

Most acacias will drop leaves very soon after cutting. M. Styphyloides will not drop leaves & thrives on regular pruning.
Craig52

You can't go past the good old Coastal Tea tree,it wont lose its leaves for years. I have had it in some aviaries for three years now and every year i go through it and pull out old used nests and give the brush a spray of coopex.

The latest trend that is being used now with excellent results are old plastic Chrismas trees, they stay green and can be removed hosed down and replaced. Craig

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”