Mouse traps

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
BONE

Without sounding rude but why have you got mice in your aviary? Fix the entry points and then start trapping out. I you have mice in your seed trays its time give it away and build a new aviary!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The perfect solution is always to build a new mouse proof avairy. Unfortunately not everyone is physically or financially able to do this. Of course building the perfect mouse proof avairy in the first place would have been the answer, but hindsight is a wonderful thing we could all use. ;-)
LML
LML
MuzzaD

Bone,
We do not have the problem with snakes (pythons?) here in WA.
Thus most of our manufactured aviaries use 1cm square or 1cm x 2cm mesh which is larger than what I have seen in Qld aviaries.
Mice can get through this.
I use the Big Cheese ultra power mouse taps outside the aviaries. They last longer than the picture shown earlier as they do not have that external spring which stretches over time. They also have lower bait compartments so mice need to put weight on the lever.
Inside I use plywood boxes slightly larger than two of these traps back to back . The entrance hole at each end is small so even the orange Breasts cannot enter but mice can. No need to bait even as the mice try and run through and as soon as they enter they are caught.
BONE

Yes I'm in a rural area with mice,rats,snakes ect ect so took no chances with my new complex. Full concrete slab and 1/4' wire with internal ceiling and walls lined in fibro which is painted. I regularly check outer perimeters ect for gaps. Obviously the full slab hurts your wallet initially but I have no mice ect so very happy.
Maurizio

Hi Dave,
Yes I did. They have all different types.
However, the one I bought is the sturdiest.
I can’t remember what I paid for it.
Go and see John, he’ll help you out.
Rod_L

BONE wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:33 Without sounding rude but why have you got mice in your aviary? Fix the entry points and then start trapping out.
How do you fix the entry points of an aviary that is 20m2 and has a dirt floor?
Mice can also squeeze through the gap between the door and frame if it is more than 8mm.
Not everyone has or wants a concrete floor and until they make 1/4inch mouse wire in a heavy gauge that can stop a cat or fox going through it, I will stay with 1inch x 1/2inch weldmesh and hunt the mice down when they arrive :)
death to all cats & ants
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rod_L wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 12:53
BONE wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:33 Without sounding rude but why have you got mice in your aviary? Fix the entry points and then start trapping out.
How do you fix the entry points of an aviary that is 20m2 and has a dirt floor?
Mice can also squeeze through the gap between the door and frame if it is more than 8mm.
Not everyone has or wants a concrete floor and until they make 1/4inch mouse wire in a heavy gauge that can stop a cat or fox going through it, I will stay with 1inch x 1/2inch weldmesh and hunt the mice down when they arrive :)
Put sheeting up 600mm and trenches 600mm down. .oh and btw I have concrete floor and its also planted out 😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

Rod_L wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 12:53 Mice can also squeeze through the gap between the door and frame if it is more than 8mm.
Use sills . .
davlee

Howdy "Bone",
I have never seen a mouse in the aviary - only on the outside.
Dave

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”