Zebra Finch sleeping in the afternoon

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
CathyCraftz

Recently I noticed that one of my female Zebra Finches are taking naps in the afternoon. She is just over a year old and shares her cage with another female zebra finch. I checked for the other ‘sick finch’ symptoms but there aren’t any. Her appetite is fine and is very active. It only started the day after the two Finches fought. Is she just recovering from the fight or is she sick? Plz help!!!
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
mickenglish

Good grief! I do that every chance I get! Am I sick?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just keep an eye on her if nothing else seems amis, she is probably fine. More to the point why did the pair fight? How big is their cage? Do they have a nest? Enjoy your little feathered friends.
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

Finchbreeder they actually have two nests but only prefers one and both lays their eggs in it. :notsure: I’m not sure how to stop them from laying eggs anymore (they don’t now) but I’d still like to know how.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
CathyCraftz

And also they have a large cage and have always seemed happy with it
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
Rod_L

mickenglish wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:44 Good grief! I do that every chance I get! Am I sick?
yes, yes you are. You have birdkeeper-itus :)

-------------------------
For the OP, you can't stop your birds from breeding. If the cage is big enough you could add a couple of males and breed them, then sell the young to a bird shop.

But as mentioned by finchbreeder, the question is, why did they fight?
Zebra finches are social birds and do not normally have a full on fisty cuffs. They might squabble once in a while but even that is rare. Normally they are happy little vegemites sitting next to each other sleeping, preening or brooding eggs.

The only reason I could think is if one bird wanted to brood the eggs and the other tried and they fought over who was going to incubate the eggs. But even that is rare because zebras will sit on anything and don't care too much if another bird joins them in the nest.

You need to monitor them closely for a few weeks and see what is going on because they should not be fighting.
death to all cats & ants
mickenglish

That sounds contagious.
"yes, yes you are. You have birdkeeper-itus"
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only thing I can think of is. Two women, two choices. Dominant hen has her choice, submissive hen therefore gets no choice. Boo hoo it is recommended to always have one more nest than you do hens. Cause we ladies like to have a choice. :oops: And if the breeding hormones are doing their thing the ladies could be a bit temperamental. Other than that sorry cant think. Cause if they have been happy for some time and nothing else has changed then that is it. Just watch them for a bit and they should settle down. Worst case you may have to seperate bossy girl out for a bit then reintroduce her to miss submisives teritory and that could settle things down. (males unmecessary unless you want to breed them) oops typo
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

Thanks for all your help she stopped taking naps a while ago and is a very happy little finch :clap: :P
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”